• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unloading without firing in the field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if y'all have any tips or tricks to unload in the field after an unsuccessful hunt. I hate having to discharge my rifle to clear it and was curious if there are any methods beyond using a bullet puller. I am hunting with my 1861 Springfield this year.

Thanks,
Patrick Ferringer

I like to use a CO2 discharger on my flintlock and percussion guns. The gun is very easy to clean afterwards, just a couple of patches removes the loose powder. And if I point the gun at some soft ground, I can usually recover the ball to melt down and use again. :thumbsup:

I night-hunted hogs with my .54 flinter almost every week for a year. 4 out of 5 nights a shot was not fired, so I used a ball-puller on a stainless steel range rod (with bore guide). Saved balls, tossed most into a shooting bag for offhand practice. No problem busting clays on strings offhand at 50 yards with these "pulled balls" loaded hole-side down. Killed several hogs with these re-used balls as well.

Since the powder is slightly compresses upon loading, I carefully and slowly ran ball-puller back down and loosened the powder, turned rifle bore-towards-ground, and tapped the butt end so powder would fall out. Repeated several times, then used breech scraper, then a couple of spit patches, dry patch, finally a Ballistol patch. Good to go until next week's hunt!

I think the puller will be the best option. I'll just keep my cleaning rod in the car with the puller and bore scraper. With the minie ball I will have to save the pulled projectiles and use them for casting since the puller will destroy the nose.

It should pull very easily from a clean barrel. I generally put a dab of bore butter around the skirt so it should work well.

I used to unload each day and then put a fresh load in the next. Now, unless it's been wet, I just leave the load in and keep on hunting. I don't bring the rifle back in from cold to a warm place, rather leave it in a protected outside location in a case. Haven't had any issues with it firing when I want yet.

But, if you want to unload, the CO2 discharger is a great method. Quick and thorough.

LongrifleDoc said:
Are there any dangers or precautions when using a ball puller? Never tried it.

Well, you have a ball over a powder charge, so there is some level of danger. Don't get your face or head over the muzzle. Personally, I'd hook the handle end on something and pull back on the gun once the puller is solidly screwed into the ball, but that's just me.

Hence why I use a CO2 discharger as the danger is zero as long as you have it pointed in a safe direction. If you have some old foam, you can even recover the ball/bullet. You get about 3 discharges per "cartridge" and to me, it's worth it.

Well, if you're using a ball puller and did nothing to neutralize the powder (soaking it with water) you are likely placing yourself in front of a "loaded" gun. True it may not be primed.

I would at least take a screwdriver and remove the lock before pulling a ball with the powder left dry.

My experiences in pulling balls has lead me to conclude that pointing the gun in a safe direction and firing is far easier.

Another thing to consider is those CO2 dischargers are dangerous. Those balls can come flying out with considerable force.

What with all this danger about phew!
Is not a powder horn a potential bomb strapped to ones side :idunno:

With common sense it is perfectly safe to do and we are at more risk coming down the stairs or jumping in an automobile!

B.

We carry a pancake air compressor fill ed at home.
Several folks will use it every night. 1-2 folks bring a gen set, so we can always fill it back up.

Those CO2 gizmos have failed, not so a compressor

LongrifleDoc said:
Are there any dangers or precautions when using a ball puller? Never tried it.

I tried with just my ramrod :( it sucked! But with a good sharp ball puller & a range rod, it changed to just a "bit of a chore" if that :idunno:

I like the idea of hooking the handle so your on the gun end of things, but I'm ok with the other was as well.

Pmringer said:
It should pull very easily from a clean barrel. I generally put a dab of bore butter around the skirt so it should work well.

I should add that I always make sure the pan is empty, lock uncocked, and leather hammer stall in place over frizzen. Still, do not put any part of yourself over muzzle, other than hands necessary to pull the ball. Don't see how it is any more dangerous than ramming ball down on powder when loading :idunno:

I just wait until I get home. Take the barrel out, remove the breechplug and push the barrel clear with the ramrod. Run a patch through and put the gun back together. If the weather is dry, I just leave it loaded for the next hunt. I do put a wrap of tape around the handle of my case with the word "LOADED" on it and my family is instructed to give it to my brother for unloading in the event of my demise if they ever find it marked as such. I have gone hunting up to three times with the same load in the gun and it test fired great.

I unloaded it last night after an unsuccessful hunt. I saw five deer including a buck a couple minutes after legal light so no shooting. I ended up removing the nipple and injecting water into the powder charge to neutralize the charge. The ball puller on a regular cleaning rod worked very well. That being said, I will be getting a CO2 discharger. The hassle cleaning out the wet powder charge and being on the business end of a loading rifle isn't worth it. Appreciate all the advice.

-Patrick

Back