• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I enjoy flintlocks and percussion underhammer rifles....there has to be a connection. I have found very little information about underhammer flinters and would like to learn more. Right now I want to experiment with a conversion of my Hopkins and Allen underhammer that I bought when I was a kid. I don't want to hurt it, just add to it. You guys got any ideas? web sites? I have been shooting my Lyman GPR up side down for kicks and it works just fine. Fast too. Now this has got me thinking..

I know of a builder in southern Minnesota that showed me a pistol that he built, an under hammer flinter that looked just cool as heck. He said it shoots really good and does not have any miss fires with it.

So it can be done...

Two years ago I fired an underhammer flint at a local rendezvous that one of the participants had made. It was interesting and the flash was directed away from your face. But at your wrist! So they can be made and as I said they are interesting. His had a large pan and threw a lot of flash but went off every time.

I built one with a side lock upside down back in the 70s. fired real good, till the flint got dull. (did I mention I was shooting off a bench?) Well the 4th time it didn't go off, I changed the flint (forgot about the powder on the bench from pre. primes). well it went off, the gun , the extra powder on the bench both went off. result no hair on for arm, shorter beard too! took it apart and used the stock for firewood! :surrender:

I dunno what happened to my post. :idunno:
I already answered you.

Anyway, here is again a picture showing you a flintlock underhammer pistol.
Those were made in a small series by a German builder. According to a test in a gun magazine they worked very well.
I guess the problem for the system was that most people shoot on ranges here. And we already could read now what can happen with the priming powder from misfires... :haha:
If you build another hammer for your H&A and a pan with frizzen you could screw in instead of the percussion nipple it might work.

Calderwood.jpg

Back