• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uh, oh, a newbie with a Whitworth!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy smoke!! A Pedersoli mould!!!!???? Here in UK that thing is almost as costy as the rifle! I exaggerate, slightly, but even so...
1619443070201.png

£189.00 = $260.00

Thanks guys! I am busy this week, but will get the rifle out to the range in a week or two. I will report back.

I'm very interested in the whole setup, scope and all.
That's a bucket list gun for me in that configuration. Put me on your email list for range reports.

Finally got my Pedersoli Whitworth ready to go shoot. I am pretty new to the black powder game- have shot pistols (you can see an original new model behind the Whitworth) but never a rifle.

I am ready to go to the range but just want to make sure of a few things. I have 580 gr. hexagonal bullets, primers and 3F powder. I have a ramrod.

The first few trips to the range I just want the rifle to safely go boom; looking for a little help on load data- where to start? Is 3F a good choice in powders for this rifle? If so- how much? What velocity should I expect? Do I have to use a patch or some buffer between the powder and bullet? Do I need a drop tube, or can I just pour the powder down the barrel? How much do I tamp down the bullet on top of the powder?

Like I said; just looking for the rifle to go boom safely.

Thanks,
John

View attachment 74625

In my Gibbs, I use 2f and suggest you do the same. I shoot a 400 grain bullet and 100 grains 2f which does wake me up when I pull the trigger on this heavy rifle. Check the manual that came with your rifle or Lyman's black powder load manual. It does not list 3f powder for the Whitworth bullet diameter

I'm very interested in the whole setup, scope and all.That's a bucket list gun for me in that configuration. Put me on your email list for range reports.

AFAIK, nobody makes a replication of the Davidson scope that seems to have been the de rigeur fit for Whitworths used by the Confederacy. Putting a long tube scope on top, which I have seen done, is not authentic in any way.

Latest posts

Back