• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

uberti 1847 walker kit. have a few questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candymancan

32 Cal
Reaction score
So i sadly had to return the 1873 ASM gun i bought two days ago owned by Pat Robertson. The barrel wouldnt cycle with rounds in it due to the bushing on th3 firing pin poping out slightly. Sucks. But i did get my 600$ back.

So now im looking for another 1873 or a walker or dragoon.. but no one has any. The dragoons i dont even know if theyre made anymore and i never see 2nd hand ones for sale.

The walkers.. never seen one in person either.. and theyre always out of stock on midway and so forth.

I did see they have many Uberti Kits for sale though. The price doesnt seem right thlugh.. 390$ for a unfinished gun when the finished is 410$ lol. Hmm

Anyway its comes in the white and with grips that need finished. My question is the frame isnt case hardened. Is this a safety issue ? do i have to case harden it ? Or would that be cosmetic only.

Reason i ask is because im thinking of leaving it bare steel and just polish it. Like the 1860 and 1851 (old silver) polished steel revolvers i have. They dont rust i noticed and they arent blued or anything.

So would the in the white 1847 be the same ?

Case hardening adds to the durability. Since it’s just for fun and not a gun to rely on do as you see fit. I case harden the frame, hammer and loading lever on some that I’ve done.

I see. I thought it was just a color case harden they do. Which only hardens the outside. If so what is the process of that ? Just get it red hot and dip it in oil ?

Case color hardening is a process of adding carbon to the surface of an iron object. It’s not a difficult thing to do but it is involved to get good results. The part is prepared then packed in a mix of bone and wood charcoal in a crucible then heated to 1375* or higher. How long it is held at temperature determines the thickness of the case. Large books have been written on the process so I won’t try to detail it here. Here is the quenching part.
MVI_0507 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

1641607617166.png

The civilian series Walkers had an 'in the white' cylinder. This one pictured is "The Thumbprint Walker" #1078 and about the best specimen out there and some of that beautiful Colt blue on the barrel.

Latest posts

Back