• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey behavior

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
We're about 5 weeks of where we usually are weather wise this spring.My domestic turkeys are actually done laying and already have chicks. I figure this season for wild turkeys is going to be all screwed up for wild turkeys....any opinions?

Mike Brooks said:
We're about 5 weeks of where we usually are weather wise this spring.My domestic turkeys are actually done laying and already have chicks. I figure this season for wild turkeys is going to be all screwed up for wild turkeys....any opinions?

It was the same here in Georgia. People actually found nests with eggs already in them prior to our season opening(March 24th). The Tom's were still searching on the opener, but have become very call shy now. My bud got one yesterday evening by sitting near a creek the birds usually visit. The winter here was just toooooo warm.

From my own observations an some of my turkey hunting friends too, most of us think they have done their thing by the first week of our mid march season. I know for a fact that they were gobblin like crazy the first week of feb. here in N.W. Ala. I hunted the 3 day weekend an heard 1 bird gobble twice an the rest of those three days were silent. :idunno:

Here's a couple of pics from my trail cam from March 30. They've been gobbling in SE MN like crazy and strutting for several weeks now. Very early...heck..I've been snowed out on opening of MN's turkey season in mid-April before!

If you look in front of the Tom, you'll see a hen laying ready for him.

HenisReady040212.jpg

And of course, those wings in the below picture aren't growing out of the bottom of the Tom!!! :shocked2:

BreedingTurkeys040212.jpg

I'd say they are breeding at least several weeks early. I'm afraid that by the time my draw time comes May 3 it will be all but over.

Its the same here in Vermont. I put my trail cams out the first weekend in March and the birds have been strutting and breeding since March 17th in my field. I travel around the whole southern half of the state for work. The Toms have been strutting since early February. I'm afraid that by opening day (May 1), will be too late. I'm also going out to South Dakota in mid May for a week of turkey hunting. I'm hoping its not going to be a birdless trip.

Been seeing a lot of solo hens on the move. That means their already bred and nesting. That and the understory is already thick and green will make for a tough year. Ah well, about three weeks and we'll find out. :idunno:
good luck!
Robby

Similar here in Colorado. They were gobbling yesterday, and our opener is this Saturday. Maybe running and gunning this year? Normally not recommended but may be all we have as an option.

I was thinking the same thing, run and gun. I usually set up a blind or two, but I doubt that will work this year. Good luck to all of you.

Mike,the birds here in SE Tn were gobbling last weekend in the early AM but were very call shy.They gobbled only a little in the PM. we were seeing lots of single hens and jakes all bunched up.My grandson and I did manage to connect with a bird each on our 4th day of hunting.His was 20lbs 14" beard 1" spurs (his first)Mine was 22lbs 10" beard and 1" spurs.Got mine with my carolina SB 62 cal.I'll post some pix when I figure out how to move them off the phone. :doh: But agree that based on the weather for here in SE Tn it is like late season :td:

When I lived in Ga I frequently saw hens with good size poults by this time of the season. The guys were still gobbling but not impressively so.

Back