• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to recreate a lost family rifle....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveboone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For many years my uncle had a 1/2 stock (striped maple) percussion rifle that had been in the family for at least several generations. No historical claim.
I was preparing to borrow with the intent of blue printing it to replicate it when it was stolen from his home never to be recovered (about twenty years ago). Unfortunately no pictures of it exist to my knowledge. I have a pretty clear recollection of it though...1/2 stock striped maple stock with brass nose cap, heavily curved butt plate, simple brass round patchbox, .45 caliber browned octagon bbl, percussion lock. I also remember clearly my dad pointing out in "New York State Gunmakers"(1951) pg50 that it was signed by the local gun maker H. Slocumb located in Homer NY, local to the family c. 1831-46.
I was browsing gun kits recently when I found Pecatonica's Leman 1/2 stock rifle, which had an amazing similiarity to what I recall.
Does anyone have any knowledge of Slocumb or samples of his rifles?
As well on a different note, I am eager to identify what would have been typical flintlock (1790-1820) rifles that would have been associated with the region-Central NY from Cortland/Syracuse east to the Mohawk Valley, where my family started to settle in the early 1800s.
Thanks to any and all info .

My google-fu tells me that Hardin Slocum of Homer, NY, was active from about 1831 to about 1846.

Those dates for a cap gun not later converted from a rocklock suggests he was making guns on the cutting edge of the latest technology of the time.

Latest posts

Back