• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to lighten the cookware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Calum. Hate to be dumb but what's the USSS?
Howdy,

USSS, United States Sharp Shooters, or more commonly known as Berdan's Sharpshooters.

If I remember correctly, during the ACW (they were mustered in late '61 and the pack/mess tin were original issue that disappeared later in the war), the mess tin was based on a French design. I know the hair-on knapsack was based on a French one. Tiffany's of NY made them, and the cost at the time was roughly three and a half dollars. I'm not sure who made the mess tins, but the packs and tins were designed for each other (as the strapping illustrates).

Mike

My son and I have been hunting elk out of the same base camp for the last 12 years. We backpack in and it usually takes us about 6 hours from the truck to reach our site. Since the first year we have left all our cooking items buried in a deep hole under a large Christmas Tree. Everything is placed in three large construction cleanup bags and that includes utensils, paper plates, pots n pans, hunter soap, lighters, propane n burners. You name it we got it! We keep a list and only replenish what’s low. The snow melts off in late June and is back in October normally at our locations elevation so it’s only about 3 1/2 to 4 months the ground isn’t frozen. Paper plates and towels are never wet and even the threads on the propane bottles never rust. Others walk by our camp and usually stop look at all our comforts and say “ How the heck did you pack all this stuff in here”!!! Just tell them “it wasn’t easy”!!! So at one time it was a heavy load but not for the last 9 or 10 years!!!

if i only go out for a few days (by myself) i don't take any foods that needs to be cooled or cooked. it makes the trip a lot lighter. and less bother with organizing meals.
i take a small tin pot that i can make tea in, a knife. a spoon, and a round thin wooden plate to put stuff on to keep the food off of the ground (clean)
OU

Latest posts

Back