• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to Identify Maker of 1863 Springfield repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The proof mark you note on the barrel do not match any European format. VP has no significance to me, but PV - pulvero nero - is one of the marks of Italian proof.

My own thoughts are that it has been de-farbed, not unusual in the USA, but highly illegal in any of the CIP countries where gun proof stamps must be clearly visible. Think of it as illegal to us as removing the serial number on a modern firearm is to you.

The groove depth at the muzzle mics .585". The mould is a Rapine that is marked 580315 and casts a .580" minie. The minie fits perfectly at the muzzle and thumb starts easily. Using the ramrod to seat the minie requires progressively greater force indicating progressive rifling. I'm betting the barrel and mould are a matched set. Once again, thank you to all contributed to my search. To those who expressed interest in purchasing or trading, I'm going to open a listing in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.
WRONG. If it has progressive depth rifling the bullet will be easier to push down the further it goes down the barrel. The tightest spot in a progressive depth rifled barrel is the muzzle.

WRONG. If it has progressive depth rifling the bullet will be easier to push down the further it goes down the barrel. The tightest spot in a progressive depth rifled barrel is the muzzle.
[/QUOT

WRONG AGAIN. Sorry Mark but the progressive depth rifling is deeper at the breech than the muzzle. The rifling in the 1861 Springfield is .015" deep at the breech and .005" shallower at the muzzle with a constant twist of 1 in 72". There is no tighter spot at the muzzle.

As far the rifling depth is, the tightest spot is at the muzzle. I own two Parker-Hales and the bullets get looser the further down the barrel they go. Especially after firing a few shots and getting the barrel fouled a little.

Hello, you listed this gun for trade in the 'Firearms for sale trade want,' Forum. Any thoughts of selling it outright??

Progressive Depth rifling gets tighter farther down into the breech.....so that undersized Minies could be rammed in a fouled bore in combat conditions

Only originals and Parker-Hale Enfields have this except as noted , a Bobby Hoyt relined repro.

Going from memory I believe the Progressive Depth rifling was deleted by some of the contractors making 1861 Pattern rifles to speed barrel production for wartime but I'm not 100% on that.

Don't have any information to offer. Just wanted to tell you that is a very beautiful specimen. I'm drooling. Any plans on selling? Entertaining any offers?

Sometime back I picked up a replica 1863 Springfield .58 cal. I'm mostly a flintlock shooter and after a single trip to the range the capgun got hung on the rack and that's where it remained except for a periodic wipedown with an oily rag and and an oily patch down the bore. This morning my foggy old brain took note of an oddity. The rifling depth at the muzzle is very shallow and gets deeper the further down the bore you go. In other words, tapered rifling. I've never seen that on a repro. I'm hoping someone can solve the mystery of who made this rifle. The lock is marked Amoskeag Manf. Co. with Manchester, NH under it and 1863 on the tail. No other makers mark (Zoli,etc) and no "black powder only" warning. Any ideas, folks?
John
View attachment 140009View attachment 140009View attachment 140010

Back