• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying the mystical "Cut in Half" round ball shooting for accuracy...??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great video Mark! Thank you for that tip That is interesting about the sprue cavity through the round ball. I'm going to cut a few of my .50 cals in half today and see. That's just wasted weight. I'm speculating here but the Aluminum molds (as much as I love them) just might be more prone to this. Yes they heat up fast but also lose heat fast too.

That was interesting, but you are still shooting a complete ball, although it is split. I've always thought the purpose of cutting the ball in half was to save lead. Use only half the ball at a time. How would that work? Half a round ball - round on one side, flat on the other? In spite of the tales of a young David Crockett collecting squirrels with half a round ball, I doubt it would have any accuracy whatsoever.

That was interesting, but you are still shooting a complete ball, although it is split. I've always thought the purpose of cutting the ball in half was to save lead. Use only half the ball at a time. How would that work? Half a round ball - round on one side, flat on the other? In spite of the tales of a young David Crockett collecting squirrels with half a round ball, I doubt it would have any accuracy whatsoever.
Let me play devils advocate for a second.. It may just do the exact opposite. If you can cut that ball dead in half smooth, and center that thing in the bore with a patch, round side up. It may just act like a good ole 12 ga rifled slug where they are a bit nose heavy so they fly true like a shuttle cock.

I agree with you..I need to try that sometime & watch the results.

Awesome video Mark ! I did cringe a little when you started hammering that ball on the hawk.

The machinists in me wishes a lead ball can be wired in half on an EDM. It would make two perfect halves of equal weight and smooth flats with no deformation. I've used EDM's to wire steels, aluminums, and titanium ; but I don't think it will work on lead.

Maybe try filling one half of the mold with putty and pour half balls. Just a thought.

When Daniel Boone was captured and imprisoned with the Shawnee, Chief Blackfish adopted him and trusted him to hunt deer with a single round ball given to him. He would split the balls in two, shoot a deer or two with them. After a prong longed time he had enough full round balls collected to use during his escape. How would he have neatly split the balls in two with only a knife or hawk? Not likely he used a saw.

Another fun video and still the ideas flow in with something different. I've never fired a half ball or two halves together. I did one time long ago shoot a squirrel in half. No, not out of the gun just WITH a gun.

Back