• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying conicals in the Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20190531_101226.jpg 20190531_101231.jpg 20190531_102416.jpg 20190531_113941.jpg
I tried an assortment of .543 Minie balls and. 543 "Gallagher Carbine" solid base bullets in my .54 Plains Pistol today.

The heavy (438 and 390something) grain Minies kicked pretty hard with 30 gr of 2f.

The lighter 250 some odd grain Gallagher bullets were the most accurate and light kicking.

By the way, Graf and Sons powder is junk, had misfires and some pop-bangs.....thankfully I had Goex Old Eynsford 2f with me. Worked great.

My Lyman globe sight hit way low, I adjusted my sight picture and put up a decent one hand 10 shot target.

I may need another , higher rear sight.

I didnt size these or lube them, so some pretty much dropped down the bore and some I had to bang on. Ideally I think a .543 sized bullet with a Beeswax/Tallow lube would be perfect for target shooting.

My use for this pistol is 100% offhand target shooting so I'm not worried about bullets moving forward while the gun is being carried.

This pistol is exceptionally accurate and I think once I get the right rear sight it will be chewing put X rings.

Back