• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger loose on full cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston123

40 Cal
Reaction score
As per title, the trigger on my trade-gun is "loose" when it is on full-cock.

The gun has only one trigger (no set trigger, etc), and I did take the lock out of the gun to clean it when I shot it last Thursday. I've been practicing dry-firing the gun (with a wooden mock-flint in the jaws), and I've noticed that the trigger has a definite "jiggle" when the hammer is set to full-cock. (And when the lock is disengaged, aka when the hammer is down and frizzen open. At half-cock, the trigger is rock-solid, as I understood it was supposed to be)

It doesn't interfere with the action of the gun, the lock still goes BANG (or, with the wooden bit in the jaws, CLACK) when I pull the trigger from full-cock, and I don't notice any issues with it in the hand when dry-firing.

After taking the lock out, I "put it back" by just fitting it into the recesses of the stock, putting the lockplate screws back in, and making sure everything functioned (aka the lock worked when the trigger was pulled from full-sock).

Am I overthinking the "looseness" of the trigger? I mean..... the gun works.....

Just checked a single trigger rifle I have and there is some play in it before the mechanism contacts. IMO this is normal given the way they work.

It is the design to work that way. I personaly don't like a trigger that "flops" around so I add light spring made out of violin or bango string wire.

This means the notches on the tumbler are not perfectly timed. If they were perfectly timed the sear would be in exactly the same position at half and full cock. Better a little jiggle than an unsafe gun. You would not want to risk upward pressure on the sear at full cock. This may be why many lock makers set them up this way.

It is the design to work that way. I personaly don't like a trigger that "flops" around so I add light spring made out of violin or bango string wire.

Good idea.

It sounds like your lock was made so the sear bar is a little lower at rest than at full cock. The other thing you can do is set your trigger a little deeper, or add some height to the top of the trigger blade. That will add some more back pressure to the trigger at rest too. Bending the sear bar down or thickening it would work too, but you may wind up with clearance issues in getting the lock in to the gun.

Back