• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tremendous Wildfowling link

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
WILDFOWLING
Take some time and give this a read, fascinating stuff. :thumbsup:
Scroll down to about page 120 or so, punt guns are discussed there. Everything before that is about decoys and dogs....still interesting though.

1/2 to 3/4lbs. of shot would probably mean an equal amount of powder, or better I assume :shocked2: That should rock the boat pretty well.
Interesting stuff. Are you gonna build one?

Thanks Mike; I'm gonna wait for my DSL in another week to download that. Otherwise it will take an hour or more on my dial-up clunker! Emery

:thumbsup: Very interesting reading, Mike. It reminded me of the stories of the meat hunters of the era and their multi-barrelled punt guns. Numerous barrels (10 Ga or larger)fanned out greater than 45 degrees, all primed by a common
trough, heavily loaded with powder and shot. The
punters would maneuver their punts until a large
raft of waterfowl was in range and then touch it
all off with matchcord. It was said that one
discharge would bag hundreds of birds. I don't have the documentation of this activity at hand but will research it and give you the link(s) if you wish. Now I know I have started the creative juices of PitchyPine and Musketeer Von Blunderbuss
running rampant. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Great reading!

My grandfather told me of the time he had an old dbl. 12 mldr. Been shot so much you'd cut yourself on the barrels if not careful. Went to the river got 17 ducks with one shot! Time was around 1900 or so. Grandpa was born in 1883.

Back