• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trekking Cup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello members. I was wondering if those who have watched the newest Mark Baker Trekking dvd, Ehren Elhert has a cup, that looks to be a pottery cup, that he uses in the Enchanted Forest part at the end of the DVD. Does anyone know who made the cup ? Thanks for your thoughts

Can't help you with the maker. I have to say I won a clay cup on a blanket shoot one time. It was well made and very hc. Droped it and it broke while on a treck. I had a muket- corn boiler (at the time the smithsonian had one in displaay as an 18th century pot...and we thought they were hc)that i used after it broke. I could cook in the clay mug,but all and all just used it for drinking. It was a might heaver then my tin, and in truth although I liked it, it was mostly in my way trecking.

I have a gray and blue, salt glazed, "sugar bowl" from Colonial Williamsburg... looks like a ceramic cup but no handle... and I use it as I have a small, copper tea kettle and the sugar-bowl-cup fits inside, saving space. I don't use it for trekking though, but it's light enough one might. You can find such on eBay if you search for "salt glazed williamsburg sugar bowl". Horace Kephart once wrote that he and several other "woodsmen" carried one item that was sort of a whimsy, and each man's was a different sort of item... not really the best for what they used it, but each had his own and they always carried it even when going as light as they wished... his was a teacup with the handle broken off...

LD

And to ALL,

Fwiw, at least by 1830, there were TWO potteries that made "Heavy clay goods which are 'particularly suited' for hunting, fishing and traveler's use.", in what is now Franklin & Titus counties of TX. = According to The Red River County Historical Commission many of those cups/bowls/bottles/canteens/jugs were used in the TX Revolution by both militiamen & the "regulars", as they were "available, inexpensive and unlikely to easily break in ordinary field use".
(I suspect, but do NOT know, that at least the Redwater Pottery at Grayrock, TX provided similar goods to the TX military forces during TWBTS, as the pottery was still "in business" at least until 1921.)

Personally, I use a "period type" handmade stoneware cup "in camp", as drinking hot coffee from a metal cup is UNPLEASANT.= I prefer heavier weight to burned lips.

yours, satx

That was what I was thinking also. For tea, coffee or chocolate . I don't like the burned lips either !

Some boys can take pretty hot stuff in their mouths. Since the cup cant get any hotter then whats in it, for me if the cup burns my lip its too hot to sip.
Drinking from small handless bowls was pretty common in the old days. While a MM was a bit of a way from resupply, it didn't take a vary big village to have a potter so a small clay cup or bowl for sure isn't out of place. Still I like to carry things I'm not likely to break.

Before the sad incident that "sidelined" my beloved "Duckie", so that going anywhere wasn't a "major logistical production", the 3 of us used to each carry a pint earthenware mug for coffee/tea/soup/etc to WBTS re-enactments, plus some "extras" for company.
The mugs got dropped/tripped over & none ever got broken/cracked, despite accidents/clumsiness. = GOOD, heavy-walled, earthenware isn't fragile.

just my opinion, satx

"Pint"? What did you'all do with half a cup of coffee? :haha:
Yeah I had my cup bonce a lot, when it broke it didn't seem like a hard hit. I was surprised when it broke.

I use a wood noggin at ronny. Had it many years and it works fine for whatever I want. Wood doesn't rattle and is light weight. For coffee it is easy to hold. Works for any beverage desired but needs to be rinsed after milk. I think the wood is cherry. After experiementing, sometimes with unpleasant results :barf: I concluded no finish of any kind is the best way to go.
If you want pottery check with: http://www.corvusmoon.com/
He made me a beer mug I much treasure. Prices are reasonable.
Tenngun, I believe he lives not far from you.
BTW, I also have a copper cup/mug. I use but it is difficult with hot coffee, I wrapped the handle with leather for comfort. Looks nice in camp but rattles and is subject to bending. It stays in camp, I don't carry around.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, trekking means packing light. No cast iron or ceramic. I would choose a tin cup. Unbreakable and very light.

Drinking hot liquid from tin is not a problem if you keep a couple things in mind. Don't fill it to the brim and use a cup large enough to not need to fill it too full. This one holds one pint.

tincup2.JPG

Our friend "tenngun" will tell you that your tin cup (and especially not filled to the brim) only holds even less than a half cup of coffee!
(CHUCKLE)

Incidentally, what little "trekking" that I ever did was in south LA & was out of a wooden "decked canoe", so "packing light" wasn't really a priority.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Incidentally, what little "trekking" that I ever did was in south LA & was out of a wooden "decked canoe", so "packing light" wasn't really a priority.
Years ago, I owned an outfitters service that took clients on backpacking and canoe trips. We always tried to pack lighter than if we were living at home and encouraged our clients to do so as well. To each his own.

YEP. - That's what makes horse races.

When you're a newlywed & trying (without much initial success, when your bride thinks that a room at the Holiday Inn is "roughing it") to get a "city kitty" out & actually camping, you don't worry overmuch about "packing light". = To get her out of our Orleans Parish condo & into a tent, I would have "hauled a 4-poster bed" out to the bayou country.
(When we met in college, my beloved had never ridden a horse, never been in a boat, never been fishing, never been swimming in the ocean/river/lake, never held a firearm and/or not even ridden in a pickup truck.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
YEP. - That's what makes horse races.

When you're a newlywed & trying (without much initial success, when your bride thinks that a room at the Holiday Inn is "roughing it") to get a "city kitty" out & actually camping, you don't worry overmuch about "packing light". = To get her out of our Orleans Parish condo & into a tent, I would have "hauled a 4-poster bed" out to the bayou country.
(When we met in college, my beloved had never ridden a horse, never been in a boat, never been fishing, never been swimming in the ocean/river/lake, never held a firearm and/or not even ridden in a pickup truck.)
Well, I guess if I was reenacting modern day newlyweds, I'd pack differently too. :wink:

Back