• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tree rats.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
whats the best way to par-boil or git it ready to take off the bone fer stew or sauce meat....would like to cook it first before taking off the bones....but not over cook it..........bob

Bob ya answered yer own question LOL. I usually cut the front legs free, then the back legs and then break the back in two crosswise. Cover the pieces with water n let er rip. Ya can toss in some onion n celery if ya want ta flavor the meat some. After about an hour on a steady simmer I try to pull a bone from one of the legs, if it comes free without to much trouble it's done.Let cool a bit till ya can handle it n pick the meat. If yer thinking on canning it for use later you will need a pressure cooker to get the higher temps needed to kill any bacteria. Hope this helps some YMHS Birdman

yeah i know how i've done it before....but it came out chewy a bit....don't want that....was wondering what ya guys and gals do to it or add to the water to make it tender.........bob

I like them with a can of cream of mushroom soup and enough wine to make them simmer good. Cover, and put them in the oven at 325 until done - in my oven it's about 2 hours - sometimes a little more. You can tell when you stick a fork it the meat and it comes off easily.

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.

Back