• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trappers trade belt bag axe hawk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this axe head up a couple of days ago at an antique mall here is Denver. It is forged with bit inserts in edge and poll. It measures 4 5/8" long, bit is 2 1/8" wide and 13/16 wide at widest part of cheeks or ears.

img_0432.jpg

This picture you can see steel bit insert forged welded between the wrought iron sides of the axe.

img_0427.jpg

Top view.

img_0426.jpg

Bottom view.

img_0431.jpg

It appears that there are 4 different pieces of iron forge welded to make the axe. A cutting bit, a "T" shaped poll bit and the two sides. There is the letter "B" struck into the left side of the head. Rust, pitting and patina seems very old and natural.

Any speculation on what I might have here? Any and all comments either positive or negative will be appreciated. I dont think (and hope not) that it is fake. The letter "B" mean anything?

Should I leave it as is, or hand hew a haft for it?

Thanks

Joe

It looks like an old timey roofing/shingling hatchet to me, but those usually have a notch in the bottom of the blade for pulling nails.

I have one very similar to that and mine was a shingle hatchet. Old, nonetheless.

If it is a shingling hatchet it's the smallest one I've ever seen. I have a very old hand forged shingling hatchet and it easily covers my whole hand and weighs a couple of pounds. I can't imagine trying to rive shingles with that little tool.
I would get a copy of Harold Peterson's "American Indian Tomahawks" and compare it with some known specimens. I think you can get the book through inter-library loan.

Regards, Dave

Could this be what they called a "half hatchet"???---it was a small axe/hatchet used by carpenters and trades people. Perhaps a late trade hatchet, because of the inset cutting edge. The straight face leads me to put it in the carpentry/shingling area........

The way it was made says blacksmith. The straight cutting edge may be a later modification. All antiques travel through time to get to us; many hands touch them, adapt them for use, throw them out as old, etc. On the frontier as it moved west, many old skills such as smithing were still practiced while already supplanted back east. I'd put this one pre-civil war.

bountyhunter
You maybe on to something, but if I recall correctly in Peterson's book he discusses "half axes or hatchets" and said that the form was a modification of the full axe. The change was that instead of the bit flaring both up and down equally the half axe or hatchet only flared on the lower edge. This made the top of the hatchet a straight line from the poll to the edge while the bottom swept or flared from the poll or handle to the edge. I hope that makes sense!
That is how I remember it but I could be wrong.
I'll try and look that up tonight when I get home.

Regards, Dave

Regards

I have several reference books that I have checked. It seems like the first half of the 19th century is when designs of axe heads were introduced. I have also visited Trade Axes and Tomahawks Collectors Association site. There was aleast one that was close to this one. I would think that there would be differences in blacksmith made axes. I too feel that this axe is about middle 1800's. Using harder steel in the bit and poll seems a little complex for a childs toy. I use a very small axe (Vaughn sub zero) to rough hew axe hafts and knife handles, maybe it was some sort of wood carving axe? :hmm:

Should I put a haft on it or leave it alone?

Joe

Joe: Since it has no indication of origin, I would clean it up, sharpen the blade and put a handle in it, and use it. I think it would be fun to see such an old axe hanging from some buckskinner's belt. Its not for throwing, but around a camp, from pounding in tent pegs, to splitting firewood, it would be very handy. I would not hesitate to use it again to split out hickory staves for axe handles, or other tool handles. I know you would not abuse it, and it would do such a tool great honor to put it back to its intended use. My 2 cents.

Joe
I'm with Paul, I would put a handle on and carry it.
I think your right on in your assessment of when it was made.
I checked in my copies of Peterson's "American Indian Tomahawks" and Hartzler and Knowles "Indian Tomahawks and Frontiersmen Belt Axes" and there are a couple illustrated that are similar to yours.
Nice find!

Regards, Dave

Ok, here is what it looks like hafted. Ash haft is hand hewn. Scraped not sanded. Very lightly torched scorched then stained. Hand burnish on soft pine.

img_0436.jpg

img_0437.jpg

img_0440.jpg

Length of handle from bottom of cheek to bottom of handle is 10 1/8 inches.

Hopefully you can see the pattern the knife scrapping left.

I think it turned out pretty well.

Joe

Joe
Nice job looks great. I have an original spike tomahawk with an original haft that is just about identical in shape and size, you certainly did well.

Regards, Dave

Back