• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditonal Muzzleloaders In Regular Gun Season ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived and hunted in Washington state for 22 years before moving to Alaska. In Washington you could use a muzzleloader or bow during a modern rifle season but only if you had purchased a modern rifle season tag. They required you to pick, archery, muzzleloader or modern rifle. You could not hunt any season other than the one you had a tag for. So if unsuccessful during the modern season you could not grab a bow or frontstuffer for one of the other seasons.

Alaska, on the other hand only states that to take advantage of the archery or muzzleloader seasons or areas, one must be certified in those disciplines. I have my muzzleloader certification and am working on my archery. If one choses to use a muzzleloader during a general season no certificate is needed and you are free to do so. The certification is not hard but is well done. I enjoyed it. I got to shoot lots of the state's powder and bullets for a nominal cost. Mart

It doesn't say "no muzzle loaders".
It very clearly defines exactly which weapons are legal to use under each deer season permit. We can use rifled or smoothbore shotguns, and centerfire rifles 6mm (.243) or larger (only on private land). No pistols can be used for deer either. :nono:

Looks like you're good to go with a trade gun for hunting!

Looks like you can use darn near anything here in Kentucky to hunt with at any time, You can bait em here also, which they do, I have the deer cross my habitat to get to others hunters bait, so I get em on the way to breakfast and dinner,

Muzzle-loading equipment restrictions
Muzzle-loading rifles or handguns of any
caliber are permitted. Muzzle-loading
shotguns no larger than 10 gauge used
with slugs only are permitted. A muzzleloading
firearm that can be fired more
than once before reloading is permitted,
as long as it meets the definition of
a muzzle-loading firearm. In-line
muzzle-loading rifles are permitted and
using telescopic sights (scopes) on
muzzleloaders is allowed.

Anyone know about the rules in ca ? I plan to use my 12 gage ml tomorrow for quail the opener was today but I had to work my buddy got his limit in less than 2 hours but he used a conventional shot gun . I hope I don't get my bubble burst the first day out .

I am a month or two late with this question,But why would ML not be allowed throughout the hunting seasons? in the states mentioned do you have to buy a specail tag for ML and archery? Hey Taq havent seen you around you are still here yes ? I finely got my Iron pensylvania gun in flint.I love it.

Look at who makes up your State Fish and Game commission. At least in Kansas, you dont have any landowners, you dont have any hunters, you dont have anyone who is other than big city politicians or who aspire to be. The Archery club has the game commissions by the balls, and it is all about longer archery seasons and more money for anyone else to hunt.

When the State Game commissions become membered with landowners who take care of the land and the game herds, and ethical hunters who do their part of the stewardship of game management, then you will see some rational laws. Until then, you have the big bucks guys from the cities who can buy a prestigious position on the board and dictate how the little guy is going to behave.

Time for a cold shower.

Bill

In Rhode Island it gets fairly interesting.
ML for deer requires .45 cal. or larger muzzle loading weapon.
ML for small game requires .40 cal. or under.
Shotgun Deer - 10,12,16, or 20ga. 00 buck is acceptable in all but the 20 ga.
So I took a ride to the wizards (RI's DEM) and confirmed that my .75 cal Brown Bess IS acceptable for the ML deer season, but I better not be carrying shot (except 00 buck or larger.
During small game, I better not get caught with a ball (or large shot)
Shotgun season is good, but again, don't carry small shot.
I'm good to go on water foul also, But don't get caught with ball or any lead shot. Don't ever carry Bismuth and lead together because you will be considered "duck hunting" even if you're caught shooting at squirrels miles from water.
Now all this sounds pretty good. The problem is on my way to some nice duck/goose areas I pass through stocked pheasant fields, deer woods and squirrel timber.
If I desire to hunt all the same day, I need to "stash my lead" before entering my duck areas, or use #2 Bismuth on pheasant and squirrels (don't think so!). I can have the RB's stashed before hand, empty shot enroute (and stash)and re-load when I get there.
It CAN all be done, just not usually worth the bother.
If you're in RI and happen to find some balls or shot stashed in a stone wall, tree hole, or under a rock, please leave it there! It's probably mine. :peace:

I remember asking about the use of muzzleloaders during the rifle season. A warden told me that it is not allowed and he has confiscated muzzleloading rifles from hunters who didn't know any better.

If he took my custom Jud Brennan flinter, it'd be after the fight and he'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands! :curse:

Back