• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel Dunn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Traditions Pioneer that I am rebarreling with a Green Mountain Barrel.It is the fast 1 in 28 rifled barrel.Anyway,I read on the long range muzzleloading site that the drum and nipple system is dangerous to use with a fast twist barrel and conicals.I have tested it with 200grains of 777 and a powerbelt bullet and it didn't blow up after a couple shots(in a vise ,with a looong string).I just wanted some opinons before I held it to my shoulder and shot it.I was planning on using FFFg goex and either the 250-350 grain powerbelt or the Lee REAL bullets. any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks

The Pioneer has a pretty thin wrist. I'd be more concerned about that slender piece of wood than the drum. Whuffo did you want to replace the barrel, if I might ask?

Just a wild hair you might say .It had the 1 in 48 and I wanted a faster twist .It does have a thin wrist and to add to that I redid the stock several years ago and cut the pistol grip off. Like I said the only worry i have with it is the buildup of too much pressure because of a heavier conical and blowing the drum out because it strips the threads.Thanks ,Rebel

I've never had any concern with nipple drums, I much prefer them to patent breeches. That assumes of course that the threads are properly cut and the drum well fitted. It should be mentioned that the lock plate MUST fit closely against the bottom side of the drum, otherwise the hammer fall will batter the threads loose in time.
Your "proof load" of 777 sounds pretty severe. I much prefer to stick with black powder as I know what I'm getting with black. I'm sure no one could have any clue as to the pressure of 200 grains 777, except that it would be way beyond reasonable.

That was the reason I used so much, I figured if it was gonna blow it would do it then. :grin:

holy cow! 200 grains of triple 7? Do you know that 80 grains of 777 is equal to 100 grains of BP or pyrodex? Man that barrel was taking 230+ grains of powder. Youre lucky it didnt explode! How much powder do you plan on using for normal hunting loads? If its a .50 i would stick with the 245 grain powerbelts and maybe having 295 grain powerbelts the maximum limit.

I'm planning on using 100 grains or less of FFFg Goex and either a powerbelt or I also have both REAL molds from lee one is around 250 and the other is about 325 grains .As I said before the massive charge was to check it out only .I wouldn't use that much to shoot with because of the RECOIL(it jumped2/3 the way out of the gun vise) .I have read that you're supposed to use a double charge and 2 balls to check a barrel .

Rebel1972 said:
I have read that you're supposed to use a double charge and 2 balls to check a barrel .
Rebel,
I would be willing to bet you never got
any information even close to that from Green
Mountain Barrel Co. 200grns triple7 Sure glad you played in safe by using the gun vise...Just an
opinion.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I'll run this once more ..if youll call NMLRA and get back iss dept ask for Jan, Feb, March 1986 (1.50 each) they tested a bunch of barrels and cals shooting up to 500 grs and 5 or 6 balls and the ONLY 5time they got one to blow up was by blocking the muzzle with a bolt screwed in. You should read these just fo the info, but Id say ya tested iy ok these 1" 12L.14 steel the 50 cal got a bulge with 800 grs and 8 balls was fine with 5 and 5. BUT you lose at a certain point, like you can add 50 grs after trying 100 and pick up 25 fps not worth it....now Traditions..I dont know who is makeing those, so Id stay away from cray stuff like this 100 sounds nice and sane oh and safe, but Ive never had one. Fred :hatsoff:

Only the lock and stock are traditions the barrel is a Green Mountain.The drum came from muzzleloader builder supply.I mis quoted the type of rifle I have .It's a Traditions Frontier NOT a Pioneer. Sorry for the mix up.

Back