• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper Lock Question (percussion)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am in the process of dry fitting a Trapper kit and am having issues with the trigger/lock assemblies. After going through all of the adjustments on the lock and trigger per Traditions instructions the gun functions as follows.

The hammer goes into half and full lock as expected, no issues there. With the lock assembly installed in the stock, I can cock the hammer and using a small screwdriver gently tap the sear arm and the hammer fires as expected. When I install the trigger assembly and test, using the front trigger the hammer fires. There is an excessive amount of trigger travel but the pull weight feels fine. When I set the rear trigger it WILL NOT fire the hammer. The set trigger will click as expected but, you have to continue pulling the front trigger to get the hammer to fire.

I’ve eliminated fit of the lock and trigger assembly, there is no binding of any sort. I’ve read about the lock being installed too tight and eliminated that as an issue. I contacted Traditions support and they were very helpful and proposed this as the fix. They instructed me to heat the sear arm and slightly bend the arm to move it closer to the trigger assembly. The person indicated this is expected as part of the kit finishing process.

My questions to the forum is….is this something I should be afraid of? I have all the tools and torches etc, I have experience heating and bending metal, just have never done it on something like this. Any gotcha’s I need to be aware of, is this considered part of lock tuning?

Thanks in advance… Dave

Well, to follow up from earlier today, the information provided by Traditions Customer Service was spot on. It took three attempts at heating and forming the lever arm on the sear, followed by reinstallation and testing. Now it functions as it should, nice trigger pull weight when unset (still too my travel for my taste), and a great set trigger.

Back