• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the locks are "tuned" ( This includes replacing any screws with poor threads, hardening the tumbler/and/or sear, and polishing the contact surfaces) They have remained tuned for over 1000 shots.The main problems I have founbd with traditions and CVA's are poor threads on the screws and soft tumblers and sears.Plus occasionaly brittle springs especially the sear springs.

luie b said:
But would you recomend one if they were a beginner and on a budget of about $250 and they're goal was to hit 90% of their shots into a target the size of a plate at 50 yards would it be good for them?
The problem with buying a 'cheap' gun is that it will likely fail to give the service you expect, and it is easy to become frustrated with the overall experience rather than the true cause of the problem: the cheap gun.

Yes, the Traditions gun can be 90% reliable and meet your goals if you are willing to put up with some occasional problems. It's an acceptable starter gun IF one keeps in mind that it's by no means a gun representative of the quality available for little more money elsewhere. In other words, don't get mad at the blackpowder sport - get mad at the mediocre quality and go buy a better gun.

Would you recomend a traditions firearm to someone who is a beginner to muzzleloaders?

luie b said:
Would you recomend a traditions firearm to someone who is a beginner to muzzleloaders?
Friend or enemy?

Seriously, it depends. If it was someone I knew, and I knew their budget was severely limited, and I knew that they had someone experienced to help them through the problems they might have, and if I knew they were smart enough to recognize the limitations of a lower quality gun, then yes.

Otherwise no. I'd help them find a good used T/C or Lyman. Or even a good used semi-custom long rifle that just needed some cosmetic TLC. They do exist.

I think I may consider buying the lyman trade rifle. Do the triggers last longer on those?

I bough a Traditions Buckskinner many years ago, and has served my family well. Yes, I would recommend them to a friend, but I would suggest looking the gun over well to check for the little things like hammer/nipple alignment.

I have a Traditions Deerhunter and would recommend it to beginners. The barrel is very accurate. Lock and trigger are working also very well. The only bad thing is this cheap plastic fieber sight. I think in former times the Traditions/Ardesa ML were much bader made.But in comparison to Investarm/Lyman they can't beat them.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Luie, a couple of suggestions...

Have you checked the classifieds here? There's a .50 T/C Hawken caplock listed for $250.

What about a kit rifle? Most production rifle kits only require finishing and assembly. It would probably be a good learning experience for you, and you would get a good-quality production rifle at a significant savings. Plus you could tailor the finish to your liking. Midsouth has a Lyman GPR .50 caplock kit lasted at $350.

I have seen that tc hawken .50 cal in classifieds and it had some rust and pitting near the lock on the barrel. Otherwise it is a good gun but they're asking too much for a gun of that quality.

I have the Pennsylvania rifle by Traditions. I bought it as a shootable classroom pass-around. For this purpose, it fit the bill perfectly. I do take issue with a recent claim that it was accepted as historically accurate by a revolutionary reenactment party, this has never been substantiated.

DSC03230.jpg

My example has performed remarkably well on the range, far better than I expected. It fired flawlessly every time I've fired it. I don't care for the rear sight, it appears to be a leftover from a cheap 22 camp rifle design.

It is mass-produced, and has the look of a mass-produced gun. From what I can tell, many of the different models are the same gun with only minor variations, mostly appearance. the Shenandoah looks like the Penna. rifle with less ornamentation, the Kentucky rifle, even less.

The inletting is done by making the mortise cuts slightly oversize, dropping the inlay in the stock and filling the difference with colored wood dough. It works, but obviously isn't anywhere near original. Here are a few examples. Click on each for an enlargement:

- -

Some people have reported alarming issues with them: misfiring, misaligned vent holes and more. Pay particular attention to the overall lock geometry and alignment if you have an opportunity to examine it before purchase.

Also note that a lot of Traditions models are made by Ardesa of Spain, Traditions is only the importer in this case. Ardesa frequently changes their web page structure, so here's where things are located as of July 21st: www.ardesa.com

Muzzleloaders: http://www.ardesa.com/rifles.php#5

The Pennsylvania rifle: http://www.ardesa.com/detalles_rifles.php?wgo=5&wval=93&wbrand=2

If you can find one that goes bang for $300, by all means buy it. From what I've found so far, the only way to really approach historical accuracy is having a gunsmith custom make (copy) a rifle from a surviving example.

I do recommend the Ardesa rifle, as long as you know what it is, and what is is -not-.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rev War re-enactment group you mention apparently doesn't even exist! I'm told that Traditions has been notified of this fact but they seem to like the sound of their own advertising B.S. better than the truth and keep the myth rolling along. :barf:

Here it is... http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R2100

PENNSYLVANIA%20RIFLE_L.jpg

(Comes in Percussion, shown here in Flintlock)

This historically accurate rifle, holder of the enviable status of "authentic for reenactment use" from the American Revolutionary Brigade, recreates the finest features of the classic long rifles.

Featuring a full length walnut stock with a cheekpiece, solid brass patch box, stock inlay ornamentation and toe plate.

Additional features include

* Double set triggers
* Brass inlays and embellishing
* Authentic wooden ramrods
* Adjustable primitive-style rear sight
* Shooting, loading, and cleaning instructions

A google search on the "American Revolutionary Brigade" ( Link ) reveals nothing except ads for the Traditions rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the beginner, I'd recommend you take your time and look for a used TC Hawken. There are plenty of them out there and if you look you can find a nice one for less than $300. Keep an eye on the rifles for sale here and sooner or later you will find a nice one at a good price.

I liked Herters; they were a fun bunch. And every claim they made was with a big wink, too. :wink:

luie b said:
What about the traditions kentucky? Also would traditions guns be ok for someone that just intends to hunt a couple times a year and shoot every once in a while. I am not intending to actually do competitive shooting with this gun.
kentuckyad1.jpg

100_2236-2.jpg

My Kentucky is a keeper no matter what anyone tries to tell me. The lock throws excellent sparks with the 5/8" rich pierce flints. I had a screw strip out that held in the frizzen spring and traditions fixed it for free.

Don't know if this counts or not but I've had two Traditions rifles, a .50 for about 18 years and a Crockett .32 for about 8. Together they've taken more deer and squirrels than I can call to mind. both are accurate (especially the .32) and I've had few problems with either.

Back