• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deschain19

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I just recently got into black powder shooting and built a .50 cal traditions kentucky pistol from the kit they offer. I've been using around 30 grains of fffg goex and it has been working well. I was recently given a tin of ffg goex from a friend who has no use for it anymore. My question: do ya'll think I'd be ok using the more coarse powder? How much would I use? I was thinking maybe 5 grains more since it is more coarse and burns slower. Am I on the right track here? Thanks!

I have exactly the same gun that I built. I use pyrodex P (FFFg) with 30 grains with great result. I recently ran out but had an ample supply of pyrodex (FFG) and decided to try that. I used the exact same load and honestly did not note any performance change at all.

I use .15 pre lubed patch over 30 grains by volume pyrodex with a .490 ball. I get very consistand groups. I did not note any performance change when the only change I made was FFFG to FFG.

Oh there was a bit more fouling.....had to run a brass brush after about every 10 shots as apposed to every 15 or so with fffg.

I've used FFG in a Traditions Trapper pistol in .50 and a T/C Patriot .45. Up the charge a bit and you'll pick up the lost velocity. Otherwise it works fine except for additional fouling. I think 35 grains would probably be around right. Tinker a bit with the charge though, and see if there's a sweet spot that gives the best accuracy.

Thanks a lot guys! I don't know a whole bunch about all this yet, but I'm workin' on it. Take Care!

I used Pyrodex Select and Goex FFg in mine....now I'm using Goex FFFG but the FFG shot well and ignition was never a problem

Back