• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions flitlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older hawkinish traditions flinter and it is not bad at all. Now that I have began to knapp I will be shooting it a bit more. 16-17 yrs ago I was shooting it at 90 yds against my sons .22 breaking clays and it was a draw (he dont miss either BTW).

I have a Traditions flintlock in 36 caliber. I accidentally loaded it with Pyrodex one time and had a devil of a time getting it to fire the load. I ended up working 4-5 grains of regular black powder through the touch hole with a nipple pick and was able to get it to fire with a horrible hang fire. Also, on my gun I usually tap the butt on the ground and slap the side opposite the lock to make sure there is powder in the patent style breech to ensure reliable ignition. Interestingly it will usually fire reliably 2-3 times at the range, but then becomes erratic if I don't go through the thump/slap regimen. If it was me, I would only get a flintlock if I planned to shoot round patched round ball or maybe a cast bullet. I know for someone where there is a flintlock only season the whizzbang stuff sounds good, but the traditional stuff will kill deer just fine.

I have a Traditions Pennsylvania that I refinished and it required a little cleanup and polishing on the lock but it sparks pretty reliably and as long as I keep the breech area clean, it is a dependable shooter. The style of breech on this rifle can clog up after six or seven shots and I will start to get flashes in the pan if not kept clean. What works best for me to do this is to use a .36 cal. brush with a small patch wrapped around the tip of the brush. Only have to do this once or twice on a woodswalk. I have owned a couple of of Half stock caplocks that were pretty good shooters but have gone on to others.
20200114_090933.jpg

Hello. As some colleagues on the forum commented, Ardesa has improved its flintlocks for some rifle models. For example, the one that has been put in the 50 caliber Pennsylvania rifle in recent years. It has a wider frizzen and a good geometry of the cock. A good way to have a flintlock weapon from Ardesa (Traditions), is to buy it in percussion and then transform it to flint lock. It is not a very difficult job. You have to remove the side drum and put in its place a 10X1.25 metric thread vent liner. The internally hollow vent liner is made in the shape of a bell, like Jim Chambers' designs. The outer hole that communicates with the faucet pan is made 1.5mm or maybe 1.75mm. The shot is instant. If there is any failure, the vent liner hole can be increased to 2 mm. I have thus transformed a Dikar Frontier rifle (CVA) that is the same as the Ranger that Ardesa now manufactures for Traditions and it works very well for me. I just have to blow after each shot and put the vent pick in the hole. Greetings from Spain.
I put a video of a colleague from Madrid doing the transformation.

Latest posts

Back