• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditional muzzle loader culture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Having read a lot of posts over these past few years and gaining a lot of information from the members of the forum. I was wondering how we look at ourselves as traditionalists in the culture of traditional muzzle loading. Knowing what we do through research and actual documentation. Example I attempt a portrayal of an aging settler on the eastern frontier primary location of Ft. Loudon Pa. going about my business of living with my wife in the area of the fort. occasionally scouting for the threat of hostiles, responding to actual engagements with the native Americans raiding parties some small farming operations, hunting for the garrison perhaps a bit of trading in good times. Having shot flint locks since the mid seventies and making most of my equipment with exception of building a rifle(this is on the bucket list when I retire)I do interact with a smallish group of very good folks and every chance I come across I engage the public with as much information as I can accurately pass on. My time line is the area of 1756. I know we as a group come from various situations, jobs, family etc. And do I hope the best we can, within our means. There are posters here I would definitely hunt with, trek with and a lot of knowledge to be had for the asking. It appears that the culture is in good hands with decent people and I hope will continue to be so in the future long after we have went to meet our maker. R.C. an APPALICHIAN HUNTER

im a total novice to muskets,having just bought my first an india pattern brown bess in .69 cal.the interest from people at work has been amazing ,got shotguns and deer rifles yeh whatever no interest from them at all.but now ive got bess theyre all intrigued .what do you fire,wow theyre bigger than fifty call,that ball will smart when it hits.hows it work ,whats the range its as though the gun from films has got them thinking .i was hooked the first time i fired one and i do believe theres a few waiting on an invite to have a go.im well pleased with the reaction being so positive as in england some peoples views of shooting is coloured by bad reporting in the papers.keep up the good work spreading the enjoyment front loaders give :thumbsup:

Side locks rule!

OK, had to say that.
A muzzleloading shoulder arm that isn't a sidelock just aint right.
As far as what one deems traditional, replicas done in the styles of centuries gone by are works of art whether the builder is experienced or a thumble fingered novice. How could one help but love them? But, I am far more impressed by the people.

mr potato head said:
im a total novice to muskets,having just bought my first an india pattern brown bess in .69 cal.the interest from people at work has been amazing ,got shotguns and deer rifles yeh whatever no interest from them at all.but now ive got bess theyre all intrigued .what do you fire,wow theyre bigger than fifty call,that ball will smart when it hits.hows it work ,whats the range its as though the gun from films has got them thinking .i was hooked the first time i fired one and i do believe theres a few waiting on an invite to have a go.im well pleased with the reaction being so positive as in england some peoples views of shooting is coloured by bad reporting in the papers.keep up the good work spreading the enjoyment front loaders give :thumbsup:

What a great opportunity to introduce a whole bunch more people to a hobby you love. Strike while the iron is hot and the interest strong. You may end up with a whole bunch of new shooting partners.

hope so,im looking forward to my father in law having a go ,bless him he,s 88 and still loves guns ,ex Worcester n Sherwood Foresters.he was once taken home by the village bobby for blowing up a fishpond with home made gunpowder.so loves blackpowder with its flash bang wallop.and theres a couple of work mates well up for it,atb

Back