• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional M/L Hunting ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's pretty much just the gun and a couple of little things like a hunting bag and horn. I can't really dress the part and I need an CATV to get me to and from my hunting haunts so I'll never be able to experience a true trek. Thats ok, I have the gun of my dreams sitting across my lap when out there and thats all that matters. :thumbsup:

451whitworth said:
it would seem to me that those of you who want to dress the part, having to wear blaze orange would kind of take the wind out of your sales. i know how much i hate wearing it and i dress modern.

We are only required to wear an orange hat (or equivalent surface area). I wear an orange boonie hat with a raccoon tail sewn on the side. The picture on my avitar is an actual picture of me hunting. So the orange hat doesn't cause that much of a problem.

Since it's on my head, and the under-brim is dark green, I never see orange at all myself when I'm wearing it, so it doesn't bother me.

Hunting is just plain fun for me, any way dressed or armed. Last year's deer hunt was PC for late 1700's except for safe boots and of course complying with Colorado's orange requirement. Drove the truck to the Mount Zirkel Wilderness Area, climbing about five miles and 1200 ft elevation change-About 10,000 ft above sea level for a week's trek/hunt. Gear was mostly make at home, grub was dehydrated vegetables grown at home, with Buffalo Jerky for the meat supply. Scrounging for grouse, filled the larder. Possibles bag contained food, utensils, fire starting gear, and spare dry socks. Rolled up blanket and oil treated canvas supplied camp sleeping equipment. Operating alone, without any modern gear was fun, but could have been more fun if it weren''t for the continual rain. Shooting bag had usual flintlock maintenance stuff, powder horn contained enough for 7 shots, as did the ball block. Minimal amount of gear, weighing less than 30 pounds, including the Rifle.
As the week wore on, I had a nice sneak on a bull moose. Waxing philosophical, I thought about how this 25 yard shot would bag me a moose if I had the tag, but then who in his right mind would want to drag a moose all the way out. Then again, who would want to drag a deer, or pack it for five miles? Time to quit.

What I found out was that those guys two centuries ago must have been both tough and miserable while hunting. Their hunt wasn't like mine. I went to have fun and escape the 21st century. They went to survive and make a living. Next solo PC hunt will include my horse so that comfort will be increased.

Bottom line, and obvious from the above posts, is that what YOU feel is traditional when hunting is what matters. Unlike a reenactment or rendezvous this is all up to you. And that's a wonderful thing.

Every time I try a little I am much more respectful, impressed and awed that some ancestor or predecessor LIVED in these conditions without let-up and did not have the luxury of backing away like I do. I've winter camped and I can't imagine what it must have been like at Valley Forge or even on the homestead in winter.

Them guys was TOUGH!

You forgot underwear. They didn't have any (why do you think the shirts are so long?). So you'd have to leave them home also.
And I wonder if the 1770's hunter ever thought: "I think I'll hunt traditional today, like my GGGrandfather did, take the ol' matchlock out, pull on my reenactor pantaloons, etc." :haha:

WildatHeart said:
You forgot underwear. They didn't have any (why do you think the shirts are so long?). So you'd have to leave them home also.
Times were really different back then for sure...we take so many things for granted today, particularly along the lines of personal hygiene...with indoor plumbing, hot water, showers, automatic washers & dryers...we stay clean and wear clean clothes all the time...bet folks back then were some kind of "rank" !!
:grin:

"(why do you think the shirts are so long?).'

Sometimes they are not long enough, had a gust of wind hit mt backside while standing by the fire after a shoot one winter, probably 15 degrees and a 35mph wind with gusts... I almost got renamed "Blue Bottom"

I'm not sure it's period correct to be out in
-3 degree temps hunting for food in December anyway. I would think that most of your hunting would have been done before the cold months and all that meat would be cured and stored up for the winter. "Cabin Fever" became a catch-phrase for a reason. Winters were spent indoors. I'm not sure it was worth the risk to go out in weather like we're having this winter anyway. One slip and a broken leg could spell the end of you and your family on the frontier, eh? I've gotta guess that risk assesment skills were at a premium back then. :grin:

Which brings up a question. When did "Hunting Seasons" become hunting seasons? Before there were seasons people hunted to hunt for food, or market. I know why seasons were set up, but still researching when.

Micanopy said:
I know why seasons were set up, but still researching when.

My understanding is that seasons began to materialize sporadically during the middle third of the 1900s...following the wakeup call caused by the market hunting that was going on...and that the initial purpose of some seasons was basically to prohibit further slaughter of wild game.

Then Wildlife Management began to develop and evolve, restocking programs began for deer, turkey, etc...habitat improvement programs began for quail, ducks, geese, etc.

And season dates and bag limits began to emerge and fine tuning has been ongoing since. Maybe I'm wrong...but that's how I've come to understand the creation / evolution of hunting seasons.

Micanopy said:
Which brings up a question. When did "Hunting Seasons" become hunting seasons? Before there were seasons people hunted to hunt for food, or market. I know why seasons were set up, but still researching when.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission was establish a little over 100 years ago. Before that, I believe there were no regulations in this state. I also read of Long Island market hunters that specialized in duck species, putting a "punt" gun on the bow of their skiffs. Also around the turn of the century.

Yes, there are those who do hunt and live traditionally, my wife and I moved into a house 'on the grid' in 2005 , never had electric in my life, drew our water from the lake, shot most of our ice house and smoker full each eyar from the porch or the upstairs window. twice from the dock but that was unusual as the deer are not in the water much come October in the north.

Now, my neighbor for part of the year still has no running water in their house, but they dont live primitive for fun, they are generally broke.

two of my hunting buddies do live traditionally, one lives in the cabin his grand father built when he cleared the land, he has added two rooms to it and a fireplace in each to warm with, also no running water so they can let a room get frosty and it wont break anything but your spirit.

You'd like these folks, they grow their own flax, make linen for sale from it, their own clothes, and there is plenty of tow around as well, as you would guess.

last year his wife retted the flax too short and they ended up making wallpaper out of it!

Now I do not know that they are 100% traditional muzzleloader hunters as both of them are shooting Thompson Centers on occassion and these are NOT traditional rifle, they are a modern reproduction and really not in keeping with Pure Traditional Flinter Hunting, but I generally carry a Factory Rifle when they do so they do not feel as badly.... I am that kind of friend!

So really, they live traditional but shoot modern! LOL

"Thompson Centers on occassion and these are NOT traditional rifle"

I think that the ML world pretty much accepts these and most production sidelocks as traditionaly styled guns, their changes in design do not offer any real advantage over the originals as long as one uses primitive sites and prb or connicals from the period which are quite rare and hard to come by today, they are not PC when compared to originals but can be made a lot closer with the omittion of the modern sits and possibly the finish on the metal in some cases

For me 75% of the tradition is simply using a flintlock and patched round ball for my hunting.
Some traditional acessories and some modern are part of my hunt.

As far as the HUNTING part of traditional goes, I sometimes come home with no game for the pot but I seem to survive the winter. :)

Never thought much about it until I read this post, but I guess I come pretty close to "traditional" hunting most of the time......without really trying.

I have hunted with modern as well as muzzleloading firearms for more than 40 years.....started with caplock rifles before it was "popular",in the late 60's, just because I liked it!! About 15 years ago I went to flintlocks except on days when it is raining....then carry a caplock. Once again, just because that's what I like.....and all are longrifles I have built myself from parts (not kits) and stocks carved with my hands. Never shot anything except patched round balls either.

I seldom hunt from a stand or over a feed except when "meat" hunting for does.....even with modern rifles. Most times I go into the nastiest thickets I can find after deer and hogs, and slip or just sit behind what cover I find. Might occationally buiil a quick "brush blind".

I walk and therefore tend to travel light.....no flashlight (hate flashlights in the woods....that's what god made moonlight and stars for....and know the area I hunt very well), no binoculars, no rangefinders. Mostly just a rifle and knife and carry a shooting bag (both with muzzleloaders and a separate bag for modern rifles). I do like my coffee and will carry a bottle if I know I won't be walking too much, but most times don't due to the extra weight and bother when "roaming".

I live in a house that is more than 100 years old and although it does have electric lights and "modern" conveniences, I had no heat of any kind until last year when a woman came into my life and demanded at least a wood stove (she's kind of "soft" about that). Kind of silly to me....this is Texas and it never gets too cold for very long, just throw on another blanket!!

I prefer boiled coffee, but do sometimes use a coffee maker for convenience at the house. When at camp always boil coffee in a bucket over the fire of wood stove......not to be "traditional", just how I like it.

I wear tradtional clothing when I hunt with a muzzleloader. Sometimes buckskins, sometimes linen longhunters coat and 1700's style breaches, shirt and leggings. Wear a skin cap or tricorn unless bareheaded. Add a wool coat and stockings if it's cool outside and always wear moccasins. I don't nessisarily do this to be "correct", but that gear just "works" and feels right to me. In fact I often wear moccasins and the hunters coat when carrying a modern rifle too (moccasins are my choice of footwear around the house too.....because they are comfortable).

I do normally carry a watch, but seldom hunt by the clock and therefore seldom look at it, so could easily leave it at the house. I cannot leave my glasses behind when using traditional sights, but I guess I could get a set of "period" frames.

I can step out my back door and be hunting....and do at times....but I will admit to driving my truck to the lease (10,000 acres) 5 miles away, but once I get there it's all on foot. I do use the truck to pick up any kills as I drag them to the nearest road and go get the truck (I see no advantage to dragging a deer 5 miles as opposed to dragging 1/4 mile and walking to the truck).

If I carry anything to eat (and normally don't), its smoked sausage and a biscuit of two dropped in a cloth bag and carried in the shooting bag.

I don't do these things to be "correct" or "traditional". Its just the way I've always done it and it feels right. I actually like to wear period clothing when hunting with a longrifle and have found that there is a reason they wore what they did.....it works!!

Glad I read this thread.....never thought about it, but I do come pretty close to hunting in a "traditional" way......even when carrying modern firearms.

My kinda huntin! :thumbsup: Wear mocs all the time cept when dealing with shod horses or driving steel fence posts. Gave up using center fires unless I am "Cropping" for a couple of ranches I do that for from time to time. Wear bucks a lot, even to town just because its America and I can. Hunt in leggins and clot when the weather is right. A few of us get together a couple times a year to do traditional muzzle loader hunts as well as knifing pigs. Great fun.

I can’t really say that I hunt with traditional tools. I have not used my flintlock for hunting much yet. I do normally use a single shot firearm for much of my hunting though. Just carries well and normally brings home the game that I see and decide to shoot. For the rest, I use a good set of boots, a good set of binos, and normally one of my old sets of BDUs (or my older wool pants and Pendleton shirt) and a good jacket for walk around gear. I do also carry some homemade jerky and other homemade dried goods with me, as well as a small pack/first aid kit and canteen/water purifier. I don’t do much stittin’ on stands, except to rest and observe a clear-cut for signs of game.
I may start carrying my flintlock for birds/small game, especially if I build the fowler that I want to. Other than that, I don’t know if I will carry my GPR for deer, it is just rains too much in season for me to be fully comfortable with it yet. I have used it for coyote calling, and tracked one cougar while carrying it.
I just don’t see me changing my hunting style to more traditional materials, with the exception of possibly the flintlock (when I become more comfortable with it). I somtimes leave on Friday night, and come back on Monday morning in time for work. I travel light, and am comfortable with what I have worked out over the years. I don’t get out as much as I would like to, and don’t travel (walk) as far as I used to anymore. I still get out a few weekends a year, although lately my overnight trips tend more toward the warmer time of bird season. Lately, injury recovery makes it harder to behave as I did when yonger, but I still try. Even though I qualify for a handicaped "roadhunting" permit, that takes the joy out of it for me. I just walk slower and take longer to recover when I get home. :grin:

Nice thread. Lots to think about here. I've daydreamed a lot about hunting in traditional clothing while carrying one of my muzzleloaders, but haven't actually done it. I get caught up on the footwear issue, having one ankle that likes to sprain, and living and hunting in rocky and sometimes snakey country. Maybe I can build or buy a pair of buff-soled moccasins that will give me some protection. I'd like to hunt in leggings and clout, with a linen wrap over the drop-shouldered shirt.
Only time I have ever truly hunted traditional is the afternoon I spent in mocs and Tarzan-style breech cloth hunting rabbits with an atlatl and dart. A so-called pal filmed me from a distance, unknown to me at the time. I'm still embarrassed!

Back