• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Kettle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Just a question on brass trade kettles.
If I were to leave my folding skillet ay home, with an Eastern Longhunter persona, only bringing a trade kettle on a foot trek, would I still bring bacon and corn meal? I know of boiled bacon, (not my favorite) or what type meat would be best?
Hogs and Hominey have always been my stand by.
Thanks

Yes, boiled bacon is one option. Remember though that bacon was considered a special meat, right up there with ham, while salt pork or salt beef was more common, and you really have to boil it twice to eat either. "Hog and Hominy" was probably more boiled salt pork than bacon. You can simulate it by making some yourself, OR get a dry cured Virginia ham, cut off a hunk, and carry that instead of bacon. (Boil it once, dump the water, boil it again.)

Jerked beef or venison is another option. You could also make some salt-venison.

Finally, you could go without meat at all, which would also be correct. Rock-a-hominy from parched corn with some maple sugar was often all that was carried.

LD

There is an Amish guy nearby that makes applewood smoked dried beef and sells it either sliced or in slabs. I have taken a small slab with me. It requires no refrigeration for a a weekend trek, but don't pack it in plastic or it will mold. Just wrapped in cloth and it keeps well for three or four days.

I raise my own beef and have been tempted to try curing some myself, but never found a proper recipe. (I do cure my own ham)

Back