• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tracks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Have you ever been lost in the woods?
I have, one cold, January winter in Ohio during the state wide muzzleloader hunt...

I walked for what seemed hours and I had no idea where I was...

The funny thing about this was, I could have just turned around and follow my tracks back to my starting point...

But Nooooooo, I was bound to find my way using my mountain man skills. (mountain men also froze to death)

6 miles later, I regained my bearing and staggered back to my car. (who's going to give a grizzly looking man a ride carring a brown bess?)

Anywho, I didn't have to back track. Can't say that was a good thing... But what the heck, we're men...

Can't say I've really been lost, but I have been mighty confused.
Three times, that I recall, when I was "confused". Once in a blizzard when I couldn't see landmarks. I had noted the wind direction when the storm started and I hoped that it hadn't changed. Using only that as a guide, I went in a straight line for several miles. I came out about a half mile from where I thought I would.
The other two times I got "confused" in the fog. Again, I couldn't see landmarks, but again just keeping in a straight line brought me out.
None of those times did I have a compass. I finally learned that lesson. I carry a compass at all times when I'm in the woods now.

quote:Originally posted by musketman:
I walked for what seemed hours and I had no idea where I was...
You knew where you were, you just didn't know where your car was!
grin.gif

Trivia Question: Do you remember how Jeremiah found "Hatchet Jack"?

You could have ended up like him.

quote:Originally posted by Claude Mathis:
Trivia Question: Do you remember how Jeremiah found "Hatchet Jack"? [/QB]Answer: Frozen to a tree.
shocked.gif

I was younger then, I don't take chances now.

Didn't Jeremiah "inherit" a nice Hawken rifle from "Hatchet Jack" ? Sometimes being lost in the wilderness pays off.

Horse Dr.

quote:Originally posted by Horse Doctor:
Didn't Jeremiah "inherit" a nice Hawken rifle from "Hatchet Jack"? Yep.

In the beginning of the story, Jeremiah wants a ".50 caliber or better" Hawkin, but "settles for a .30".

Hatchet Jack "leaves" him a .50 cal.

Back