• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the wolf

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDWise357

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at several small items from Track of the Wolf. How dependable are they lately? A thread I read from a while back has made me nervous about placing an order. No stocks or parts mind you just accoutrements.

I ordered some stuff last week and it should be here today. I asked them if everything was in stock and they assured me it was. I guess problems arise when the guy takes your order, then when someone goes to "pick it" something is out of stock. Hard to keep track of everything, I guess. I've never had any trouble with them.

Just be sure to ask if eveything is in stock when you place your order.

Sometimes they can be real slow on a backorder but that is really their supplier.

PD

sure- i'd order from them (again) without hesitation.

ToTW, as any other retailer, occasionally gets 'jacked up' by a wholesale supplier. i had to wait for some barrel lugs a while back, but as soon as Track got 'em, i got 'em. on balance, i'd take them at their word that they have a part or item in stock. they're straight up honest, and they sell good quality, and that's about all a person can reasonable expect these days.

good luck.

ordered four items last week and got them in the mail three days later. I've ordered quite a few items and one kit from them all timely delivery. In a couple of months I'm going to order a jaeger kit.

Welchman

Speaking personally about 5 months back I placed an order all the way over here in little Tasmania, with in 4 working days the goods had arrived, carefully packed, all correct and at a better price than I could have got here.
TOTW were great to do business with.

Two things about TOW: If you don't specify that you don't want them to backorder, they will charge your card or take your money and the backorder may never come! On one order I finally had to ask them for either my $$ back or a credit on a future order, as the backordered item never showed (over several months). Second, they charge an exhorbitant "handling fee" so that small orders get jacked up unreasonably in cost--I have ordered items that cost less than the "handling fee". Other than that I find them utterly reliable.

Mike -Glad you brough up that handling fee,really chaps my buns.There is a place in Oregon that charges it on every order, in stock or not it just get's charged...respectfully montanadan

Those handling fees are just hidden profit. I ordered a sight from them a while back. However, I had the dude on the phone, and he was robotically going on that there was going to be this handling and shipping. I said no. I said we are talking about a very small piece here. The price is X and you can ship it for less than a dollar postage if you just drop it in an envelope, "OH". A few days later, this yellow envelope came that had like $.68 postage on it and inside was my sight. Gotta stand yer ground with the preppy city boys these days.

Just keep em in line, and they are a good source for goods. But, like I say, I dont ever order anything from em unless I have the child on the phone.

B

I order from TotW at times and like them. I also make a checklist before I call and check off each item twice. Once is asking if it is in stock in the quantity that I need/want and the second is when I actually tell them to ship.

Note the order in which these are done.

Having said that, I would give them a call.

By the way, this practice is not limited to Track. It is now my SOP for all catalog dealers. It is just a good business practice.

CS

I get most of my ML supplies and accessories via internet commerce. Track is one of my two main suppliers.

The trick, as others have said, is to make sure they have the item in stock before you order it. (I'm glad they changed their web site to show what is on hand). A back order for an out of stock item can take a long time, and sometimes they do forget.... I called to ask about a long delayed item, was told "oh we are still waiting for those," and then it appeared in my post box three days later (my call apparently having reminded them it had not shipped).

I usually wait until I need more than a few items and then give them my order. The advantage of letting them take your money up front for a back-ordered item is that the shipping and handling gets bundled up with the items they do have on hand ... when it finally arrives and ships, there is no additional charge for the shipping on the back-ordered item.

And since they are now using the USPS flat rate boxes it seems their handling fee has come down. My last order totaled $87 of merchandise; they added a $9.70 shipping fee. Since the flat rate box is $8.10, that means they took only $1.60 for handling.

All My dealings with TOW have been very good. I have never ordered small or single items though. I had ordered a kit powder horn and asked if they had some with alot of white in them. The agent went in back and selected a real nice horn for me,[3/4's white] he even inquired if it would be a left or right hand pour. I liked the personal treatment I recived there and have made a number of purchaces since. I think they have a good selection of items and would recomend them...Jim

So, did you have an inside connection, or would they hand pick a horn for just anybody?? :hmm:
I sure would like to have a couple, but I don't have anywhere nearby to get them and I really hate to order one sight unseen.

FW707,
No he was just a random sales clerk. All I did was ask if they had any with alot of white in them. I had been looking through their catalog and noticed that they had a wide selection of horns and wanted to try building one on my own. My last horn was all dark, I never liked it all that much. then one day I droped it. It ended up with a crack in it so it got tossed. I should have kept it as a test peice for scrimshaw but I wasn't thinking....Jim

Thanks Jim.
I'm getting ready to order about $600 worth of stuff from them for a new rifle, so I might just order a couple of horns first and see how things turn out.
I appreciate the reply! :hatsoff:

Have had good luck as others have said. It's just a matter of asking what's in stock and not just say "Send me such-&-such" and blythly hanging up!

Back