• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW Screw Kit for Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was browsing the TOTW online catalog and I noticed they sell a screw replacement kit for the Brown Bess. Anyone know if those would only fit an original, or would they also be compatible with my Pedersoli Bess Carbine replica? I was thinking a few extra screws would be good to have in the (inevitable) event I booger one or two of them up.

I was browsing the TOTW online catalog and I noticed they sell a screw replacement kit for the Brown Bess. Anyone know if those would only fit an original, or would they also be compatible with my Pedersoli Bess Carbine replica? I was thinking a few extra screws would be good to have in the (inevitable) event I booger one or two of them up.
Can you provide a link, please?

Gus

Always possible, but the TOW screw kits I have purchased were specifically made for their gun kits, not originals or various Italian reproductions. Guess for less than $21 one could confirm how well the TOW kit fits either. Personally, I would invest in a proper fitting screwdriver set to avoid boogering up the screws on any original I was the current caretaker of. Eliminates the need for extra screws. Maybe time to consider an ounce of prevention….

OK, the machine thread screws are either 10-32 or 8-32 and unfortunately that means they won't fit either an original Bess nor your Pedersoli Carbine. Original Bess screw threads were a different diameter and thread per inch, as these sizes weren't standardized until around the mid 19th century. The Pedersoli Carbine takes metric size screws.

Gus

OK, the machine thread screws are either 10-32 or 8-32 and unfortunately that means they won't fit either an original Bess nor your Pedersoli Carbine. Original Bess screw threads were a different diameter and thread per inch, as these sizes weren't standardized until around the mid 19th century. The Pedersoli Carbine takes metric size screws.

Gus
Good to know. Thanks!

Always possible, but the TOW screw kits I have purchased were specifically made for their gun kits, not originals or various Italian reproductions. Guess for less than $21 one could confirm how well the TOW kit fits either. Personally, I would invest in a proper fitting screwdriver set to avoid boogering up the screws on any original I was the current caretaker of. Eliminates the need for extra screws. Maybe time to consider an ounce of prevention….
Thanks. I did search the forum found a post stating the proper screwdriver size for Pedersoli and ordered some bits from Brownells. Still would feel better with some spares. Always a good chance of me doing something ham fisted or having the cat in the garage swat hardware off into oblivion.

I used to get Parker Hale parts from Navy Arms, and Euroarms Parts and Armisport Parts from their national distributors in Winchester, VA. Since I did favors and some warranty work for them at the NSSA Nationals, they gave me distributor pricing on the parts. The extra cut in price for distributors was not much, but it definitely helped me keep a good stock of parts and kept retail prices as low as possible.

Pedersoli has no such national distributor in this country where parts are available.

Gus

As Stated byArtficer, The screws on a Pedersoli are metric, along with all their other guns. I neeeded a set of longer side lock screws for my Pedersoli Penn Rifle, and bought a set of 8/32, and 10/32 side lock blank screws from TOTW and made a set of metric screws with my Metric tap, and die set. They work fine. I even made the screw heads a little fancy.
You can get a cheap set of metric taps, and dies from Harbor Freight, that will cover all the basic metric sizes.

Hope this helps
Dave

The slots on the lock screws for a Ped BB are extremely narrow and will not take any manufactured screwdriver I could find. I had to fabricate one just for that job. Buying a screw set might save grief if you try to enlarge the slots and.........uh......screw up the job. 😉

Brownells is an excellent source for individual screwdriver bits that perfectly fit Pedersoli and most any gun screw slot made. You can buy just the bits you need, as long as you know the size of the screw slot in decimals of an inch, or one of their sets.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but Brownells doesn't seem to list every size in their online catalogue, but you can get any size individually.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ts/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-bits-prod501.aspx
Gus

A small grinding drum on a dremel works well to turn down the blade on a flat hollow ground screw driver bit. You may screw up a blade or two before you get the correct size but that’s better than a buggered screw. The small diameter of the drum helps maintain the hollow ground radius.

You are most welcome.

BTW, the only source I know of for Pedersoli Brown Bess parts in the U.S. is VTI. However, since it is a gun with rather low volume sales, the parts are VERY PRICEY.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=55&cat=Pedersoli+Brown+Bess
For replacement side lock screws, I would measure the size from your gun and see if the following blanks could be threaded to fit your lock.

Gus
Thanks. Yes, a bit pricey but good to know they're available.

As Stated byArtficer, The screws on a Pedersoli are metric, along with all their other guns. I neeeded a set of longer side lock screws for my Pedersoli Penn Rifle, and bought a set of 8/32, and 10/32 side lock blank screws from TOTW and made a set of metric screws with my Metric tap, and die set. They work fine. I even made the screw heads a little fancy.
You can get a cheap set of metric taps, and dies from Harbor Freight, that will cover all the basic metric sizes.

Hope this helps
Dave
That does help. Thanks! A metric tap and die set would come in handy for other unmentionable projects as well. I wasn't aware of the blank screws at TOTW but will certainly check it out.

Brownells is an excellent source for individual screwdriver bits that perfectly fit Pedersoli and most any gun screw slot made. You can buy just the bits you need, as long as you know the size of the screw slot in decimals of an inch, or one of their sets.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but Brownells doesn't seem to list every size in their online catalogue, but you can get any size individually.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ts/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-bits-prod501.aspx
Gus
I searched the forums here a while back and found a post where someone listed a #360-3 bit for the side plate screws and a #360-6 bit for the upper jaw screw. I tried to find the post again today with no luck. I ordered the bits from Brownells and they seem to fit the screws fine. The bit for the side plate screws doesn't go the whole length of the slot but there appears to be enough bearing surface to avoid damage.

Back