• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took the Lanc to the range today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
0625201235.jpg

.54 caliber, 80 grains 2fg, 018 ish pillow ticking patch. 2 inch orange dot 50 yards. I can do better than this but it's a fairly hot day here and humid. Haven't shot in a few months. Overall, I can't complain. Did have the one flyer which is for me about normal. Cardboard target courtesy of our last frozen pizza. The way it's sitting in the picture is the way I had it hanging.

Or you could up your powder load too, though 80 gr. is already a pretty hefty charge. Change your lube and patch combo maybe?

80 grains is really not that high a charge. Some guys go as high ad 110 or more. Imo, anything over about 95 grains is simply too much. I used to shoot 95 grains but it was erratic and grouped like the big dipper. When I dropped down it tightened up. Id rather the charge hit a little low and be fairly tight. Besides filing the sight is easy.

For what it's worth, my .54 caliber, roundball shooting rifles really like a 80 grain powder charge using 2Fg powder. For 3Fg powder they like a 75 grain powder load.

I wonder if there was ever such a thing as a box-lock long rifle - in percussion, of course.....hmmmmmmmmmm................................

Latest posts

Back