• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too Pretty to shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lovely piece, a few dings etc over time will add to its beauty. I hope you get the opportunity to make meat with it !!

Guns are meant to be used take it and shoot it will only add to the beauty, also the wood is what I believe is called flamed maple.

I've been told by many people who saw them that I shouldn't shoot the rifles I've built. Their too fancy to shoot.

To that I say, "They were built to be shot." That includes my Franklin, with over 32 inlays on it.

Frankie.jpg

Franklin cropped.jpg

I have shot every single rifle that I've ever made. Of course, it was done at a shooting range and I took care to make sure they didn't get banged up.

I sold the first Pecatonica Flintlock kit rifle I ever made. It was a Lehigh with a Durs Egg flintlock on it and finished with a dark honey colored stain.
I spent over 1/2 hour explaining about the care and feeding of a flintlock to the buyer and gave him 1/2 pound of powder and 25 roundballs.
As he carried it out the door, he said, "Thanks for telling me how to shoot and clean it but it will never be shot. It's going to hang over my fireplace mantle."

That was one of the sadder days of my life. :(

There was a time when I used to be very OCD about my possessions. It got to the point that I wasnt enjoying those possessions. The older I got, the less concerned I became when it comes to a ding or scratch. Dont get me wrong, I am still very anal about my firearms. Its just nowdays I dont get worked up over the little stuff. Besides, I wont own anything that I dont intend to use, if even only infrequently.

Hi,
It is somebody's rather rough interpretation of a Bess based on a Miroku repro. I would shoot the heck out of it as long as it shoots well.

dave

Last edited:
I have owned two Leonard Day swivel guns that were pristine and beautiful. I never could bring myself to shoot them, but did make a profit on both that allowed me to upgrade guns I would shoot.

Nope. Things may be questionably safe, or historically rare and precious that should not be shot. But pretty? Nah. You're only going around once and hunting or shooting with a pretty item is a pleasure you deserve if you can afford it.

Look at the originals. There were some VERY pretty rifles and guns that saw a LOT of use.

A rifle is a tool that calls to be used. Be a shame to not use it as it was designed.

Occasionally you come across something somewhat out of the ordinary. When I do, I usually pick it up. This was one of those times. I've owned it for years but I have only fired it a few times - mainly because it is so unique and pretty and I don't want to scratch or ding it. Have any of you experienced the same problem, or is it just me?View attachment 45733View attachment 45734View attachment 45735View attachment 45736View attachment 45737View attachment 45738View attachment 45739View attachment 45740
Looks like waterfall maple to me.

I have one rifle I've never shot, er, make that two, yet. One I just received a few weeks ago and the other is valuable. They will get shot eventually. They look better after some use.

I would call your stock quilt figured maple. And very very nice.

Latest posts

Back