• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutabout

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought my first tomahawk. I have no experience or knowledge of them. The one I received seems to have an exceptionally long handle. Is that necessary for throwing ? 'Seems to me it would be more comfortable as a hand tool if I shortened the handle by 3 inches but I wanted some opinions before I do that. Is a longer handle better for accuracy in throwing or is it a matter of getting used to what you like ?

I suspect that the best handle/balance is what you get used to.
Most of my throwing hawks have 16" handles. Two larger versions are - not near me to measure - 18 to 20. One of them was even longer and I cut it back as I found that it was awkward to throw.

Pete

I imagine you'd get used too it. But it's much easier to learn hawk tossing with the handle at it's 16"s.
I've tried and have seen plenty of others try to teach young`ns hawk toss by choking up on the handle for their grip and it's tuff, it rolls off the wrist too fast and overspins.

Handles are only $4-5 and if you git into hawk toss enough you'll bust a few that's for sure

troutabout said:
I just bought my first tomahawk. I have no experience or knowledge of them. The one I received seems to have an exceptionally long handle. Is that necessary for throwing ? 'Seems to me it would be more comfortable as a hand tool if I shortened the handle by 3 inches but I wanted some opinions before I do that. Is a longer handle better for accuracy in throwing or is it a matter of getting used to what you like ?

It is a matter of personal peference. A lot depends on your size and strength. The longer the handle the further away from the target you must stand. Some matches have a minimum distance you must be away from the target. With a long handle you can adjust your hold for distance and personal peference. Takes some practice. And do buy extra handle.

you don't mention weather or not you are going to use this hawk for throwing. If you have no intention of throwing it, the handle length is just a matter of preference.

A good way to determine your proper length for a throwing hawk is to fold your arm at ninety degrees and your handle length should be from the inside of your elbow to the end of your fingers.

wb

Thanks to all. My handle is 20.5" from the top of the blade and I was thinking along the lines of 17 to 17.5. I can still trim from there if needed.

I don't know throwing from tossing or chucking, cuzz I've just never had cause to try it. Might be fun, but I just haven't been there yet.

But I can contribute a principle learned in years of use. Hawks, hatchets, axes and mawls. As a round number for use as a tool in your hand, the heavier the head, the longer the handle should be for ease of swing and for control.

I spent a lot of years in the woods carrying a "cruiser" axe with a 24" handle and relatively light head. I got to thinking it was too long for convenience and sawed it down to 18". What a good way to turn a useful tool into a search for a replacement handle! I've also used a double bit over those years as a matter of preference for bigger jobs. I had a chance to pick up some of the throwing axes used at a rodeo one time and I was really surprised. The handles were a lot shorter than the ones used in chopping competitions.

Call it taste or prejudice from years of conditioning, but these days when I'm selecting and using a hawk, there's a definite feel I'm looking for, and if I'm going for a shorter handle I'm also picking up a lighter head.

You can go back to your regular programs now. :rotf:

My handles are from my middle knuckle to my elbow. That way you don't have to go back father from the target. First thing I do with a new handle. Dilly

For me, no science involved.

I cut them to fit in my shooting box. Then throw them as they are. 5 1/2 paces and can stick every time.

Thanks - I followed my gut( which, due to it's size is not like tracking deer over hard ground !) and shortened the handle to where it no longer upset my delicate sensitivities and I will next stain it darker. I'm stripping the factory paint and will coat it with grease and slowly warm in the oven to darken it like a skittle.

Let,s see. You say you throw your hawk from 5 1/2 paces- Not 5, and Not 6 paces-- just 5 1/2 paces,

Yet, you say there is NO SCIENCE involved?????? :shocked2: :rotf: :bow: :grin:

laffindog said:
For me, no science involved.

I cut them to fit in my shooting box. Then throw them as they are. 5 1/2 paces and can stick every time.

Wat do ye do if the competition requires being further back than thet?
Some do that because some guys will use or choke very short grips and be only a couple feet from the target block. Further back evens the competition.

My guess is that if it's farther than your usual 5 1/2 steps then you would start from the target and take real looong steps back to measure 5 1/2.

Right ? :thumbsup:

troutabout said:
My guess is that if it's farther than your usual 5 1/2 steps then you would start from the target and take real looong steps back to measure 5 1/2.

Right ? :thumbsup:
No. The hawk makes a full revolution in a given measurement, not "steps".

There really is some math involved in throwing a hawk. There is an excellent article written by Hawk Boughton in the Book of Buckskinning on how to throw a hawk and determining the proper length of the hawk or throwing knife. I read it many years ago and have used it with great success. I just dug it out and will summarize here:

Overall hawk length should be the measurement from the knuckles of your clenched fist to the tip of your elbow. With that length the hawk will make one revolution in six of your steps. So you take six normal steps from your target plus one additional step. The additional step is because you will take one step in the throwing process. Grip the hawk at the last 4 inches of the handle. Do not try to flip the hawk as you make your throw, as that flipping motion will always be inconsistant. Let the hawk slid out of your hand when you make your throw, much like letting an icicle slide thru your fingers. Good luck and practice, practice, practice. :thumbsup:

Thanks - that's yet another way of measuring but it makes for a shorter handle. I don't know. I've had showers and other stuff keeping me from the woods where I can practice but I'll get out there and figure it out.

You asked a great question as amoung the tons of reenacting stuff I inherited from my brother when he passed was a tomahawk and extra handles...as well as the buckskinning books. Thanks to all for the informative answers! :bow:

Found a old video dated 1985 of me throwing Hawk
& Knife. Distance 21 feet. I could hit a playing card everytime then.
anigif-3.gif

Back