• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Toilet bowl cleaner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well has anyone ever used the works toilet bowl cleaner. To remove corrosion from a barrel?
It’s going to clean something, no doubt, though I’m not sure I want to use a product that contains near 10% hydrochloric acid to clean corrosion from a gun barrel. Many products (EvapoRust for example) and DIY concoctions for rust removal. It’s your gun, try it if you want and report back. Oh, make sure to wear your PPE.
https://ehs.cranesville.com/msds.pdfs/MSDS(T024).pdf

To each there own. I have used it before. It removes rust and blueing, so I leave it for about an hour. Then rinse copiously with hot water. I just used it on a .54 cal barrel from a TC New Englander. It's heavily pitted, so it will be sent off for a rebore.

Attachments

• IMG20240114165239.jpg
    IMG20240114165239.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240114165250.jpg
    IMG20240114165250.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Toilet bowl cleaner? Really? Not a joke? I would not. Once the bore is etched it will be effectively ruined.

Evaporust is hands down the best way to remove rust without damaging anything else. It will not take the blue off unless you leave it on the outside for a long time. Oil the outside. On a round barrel you can slip a piece of hose over the muzzle to keep it off the bluing. Wipe up any spills. Plug the vent or nipple. Clean and degrease the bore. Fill the bore. Give it time. There is no need to complicate this. Harbor Freight has Evaporust.

I do not know if WORKS is good on barrels but it will make pretty good bang. Take a plastic drink bottle add WORKS and some aluminum foil shake, then throw and wait for the big show. LOL
When we were young troublemakers, we used dry ice and water until we discovered Works. Works is much more stable and has a pretty consistent fuse time. Those were the days. I'm glad we never got caught.

I do not know if WORKS is good on barrels but it will make pretty good bang. Take a plastic drink bottle add WORKS and some aluminum foil shake, then throw and wait for the big show. LOL
Kind of like those MRE heater bombs we used to make to pass the time away.

Not a joke, its a mild acid. I've used it on metal parts many times. The barrel I used it on was going to be sent to Mr Hoyt eventually. I just wanted to see how bad the pitting was. It was bad, so no harm done.

Not a joke, its a mild acid. I've used it on metal parts many times. The barrel I used it on was going to be sent to Mr Hoyt eventually. I just wanted to see how bad the pitting was. It was bad, so no harm done.
The main issue I have with using stronger acids to clean up bores is then they tend to etch the metal surface and it then requires polishing to get it back to a condition one would call optimal. The pre-painting surface prep chemical I use is a strong acid, because the etching ‘roughs’ up the surface for optimum paint adhesion. Just seems counter intuitive to cleaning up a bore. But if if it works, have at it. I’ve been wrong before. Just ask my bride.

Back