• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

toe plate patch box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olflint40

32 Cal.
Reaction score
well, I have never in my 11 years of building flintlocks that I have heard of a toe plate patch. I have one to put on a fowler and have no ideal what it would look like or how to start inletting one. Could someone tell me if they know where I could get pics of one. I think if I saw a pic I could go from there.

I have seen examples done by both Hershel House and Steve Davis. Perhaps a search of these gentlemens work might turn up a picture. Best of luck.
Bill

If you are referring to the one where the toe plate is actually the release instead of a button that just prodrudes through the toe plate then:

Are you a member at ALR? Go there and search for a post by "Dave B" use "bucks co smooth rifle" and you will find a drawing of how to build one under a post entitled "patch box release".

I know "longjohn" over there completed a Bucks County rifle that I handled at Dixons that had one and pictures of it were also posted over there. A search of his post may reveal some answers.

Best I can do for you. Enjoy, J.D.

J.D.
I think he means a little carved out box under a hinged toe plate. I think I remember seeing one on a House rifle, just big enough to hold a jag.

If you're looking for a toeplate patchbox, Dixie Gun Works sells one. It is left square for shaping, and comes in steel, brass, and silver. It's already hinged together and has springs and instructions with it. $12-14 in the 2009 catalog.

This is the only one I've seen for sale. It would be very unusual on a fowler. :idunno:

Hope that helps.

John

54ball said:
J.D.
I think he means a little carved out box under a hinged toe plate. I think I remember seeing one on a House rifle, just big enough to hold a jag.
Perhaps we need more details. :idunno:

Enjoy, J.D.

Just like 54ball said I think he was referring to a simple two piece patch box mounted in place of a toe plate with a Tenn. style external nail type catch. Clear as mud? The one I saw that Hershal made is on what is called the Spears rifle.

I saw an old original Southern rifle several years ago, got some photos of it. On the original rifle, the whole toeplate hinged to open the box.

I designed this one for rifle #140 & it worked out well. The lid is enclosed on this rather than hinge the toeplate.

IMG_7191.jpg

Keith Lisle

Here is the closed photo, couldn't find it, as it was not where it was supposed to be. Not a very good photo but all I have of it closed. It was wet out the day I took the photos, & that streak on the rear toeplate screw is a water streak & didn't know it was there til later.

IMG_7184.jpg

Keith Lisle

Back