• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To cut or not to cut??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By asking, you've already answered your own question.
Truth is, while it is a romantic notion, antler tines don't make very good knife handles.
A stout antler section does,, but a spindly little tine,, just don't fit good does it?
I can't remember seeing any "antler tine" handled trade knives,,(?)
Contemporary, Yes. Historical,, not so much.

Last edited:
Make a second knife with the tine cut short
See which one you like the best
Keep that one, gift the other to some youngster that is just getting into the craft.

I have one very much like it my wife bought me a couple of years back and I use it as a skinner. The way I hold it, the tine fits great in between the pads on the heel of my hand with my index finger extended over part of the back of the blade, makes for great balance and control. I am in the leave it as it is camp

I agree leave it. adds to the knife Patch knife
20220116_075929.jpg
is the same.

Last edited:
I am torn on my decision on this one. Like so many I think it is up to personal taste. Things to consider; will the nose picker be placed in a compromising position and get hung up in the connective tissue and gore in the innards of an animal like a moose elk or bear? That is not the time you want to have a struggle with a sharp blade .I have been in several moose ,some by "flashlight" and it's never good to lose your grip or get hung up. On the other hand you might like that little extension to lengthen your grip for some detail work.
Personally, I like the idea of a finished end with pewter or German silver -looks elegant ,but it takes away nothing in the user department.

I am torn on my decision on this one. Like so many I think it is up to personal taste. Things to consider; will the nose picker be placed in a compromising position and get hung up in the connective tissue and gore in the innards of an animal like a moose elk or bear? That is not the time you want to have a struggle with a sharp blade .I have been in several moose ,some by "flashlight" and it's never good to lose your grip or get hung up. On the other hand you might like that little extension to lengthen your grip for some detail work.
Personally, I like the idea of a finished end with pewter or German silver -looks elegant ,but it takes away nothing in the user department.
I really can’t think of a situation with this one where it would be in the way….my brother made a antler tine handeled knife for one of our nephews this last year. The tine was significantly more “hooked”. It was in the way. I tried to talk him into letting me cut it off and pour a cap on it. He like it how it was. So it stayed a nose picker! Yet this one follows the curviture of the hand and I don’t foresee it being a hard issue. I had originally planned to cut it and cap it. But the more I’ve handled it the more the tine has grown on me.

Make a second knife with the tine cut short
See which one you like the best
Keep that one, gift the other to some youngster that is just getting into the craft.
Are you volunteering to receive the extra one!;-)

I have seen 2 guys slip and fall and their knife handle bruised their sides , a spike would penetrate , I would never have a spike on a working sheath knife unless the sheath had a flap over the spike .

I have seen 2 guys slip and fall and their knife handle bruised their sides , a spike would penetrate , I would never have a spike on a working sheath knife unless the sheath had a flap over the spike .
That is a real concern. With this one I don’t think it would be a issue as the antler tip would be curved away from the body. Still something to keep in mind.

For me there are two types of knives, the walking knife one you wear when wondering about at a rondy, and a working knife the one that you use to dress an animal, I like a blade about 4 in. long for the later type, in a drop point, if mine I would cut, and cap. Fingers are made for bugger picking not knife handles.😉

For me there are two types of knives, the walking knife one you wear when wondering about at a rondy, and a working knife the one that you use to dress an animal, I like a blade about 4 in. long for the later type, in a drop point, if mine I would cut, and cap. Fingers are made for bugger picking not knife handles.😉
You know why gorillas have such big nostrils, right?

My working knives all have handles just slightly longer than my hand and most have blades shorter than the handle . I have a double knife, with steel, set which stays on my pack strap when I am deer stalking and a small knife which stays on my belt for just in case .

LOL Not me
I am a knifemaker myself so I can make my own but thanks for the thought.
Cool!! How long have you been making knives? Do you do it full time? Do you forge or grind?
I’ve been forging knives since 2018 as a hobby. Due to a couple large moves in that time my knife making was on hold a couple times. Now that hunting season is mostly over I back to knife making with my spare time.

Cool!! How long have you been making knives? Do you do it full time? Do you forge or grind?
I’ve been forging knives since 2018 as a hobby. Due to a couple large moves in that time my knife making was on hold a couple times. Now that hunting season is mostly over I back to knife making with my spare time.
Been grinding knives out since I was a kid
Here is one I made
9.jpg

Back