• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This is all new...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vautrain

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been out of shooting for years... I think the last time I shot a firearm was when I was too young to actually purchase one. Bottom line, I miss it, and I've been thinking of ways to get back into shooting for several years now. I've been fascinated by bp/muzzleloaders for a long time, and decided recently I'd like to try my hand.

There is a guy at my workplace who I knew to be an outdoorsman. I asked him if he had any experience with muzzleloading, and it turns out that, not only does he muzzleload, but his father builds muzzleloaders. What luck! I told him about my interest in muzzleloaders, and he offered to teach me to shoot one. Last Sunday I went out to his place, and he taught me to load, shoot, and clean(!) a muzzleloader. He got me started, anyway. After a few shots through a .45 rifle his father made him, I was hooked. I also tried a flintlock, and a couple of other traditional rifles.

I found this forum a couple of weeks ago, and what a great wealth of information it is about traditional firearms.

I placed a WTB ad on the classifieds several days ago, and am now expecting a slightly used Lyman GPR .50 any day now. I'm planning on taking it out to my co-worker's place (maybe this weekend!) to sight it in, and see how it shoots.

Anyway, thanks for helping me get back into shooting!

I placed a WTB ad on the classifieds several days ago, and am now expecting a slightly used Lyman GPR .50 any day now.

Welcome, Vautrain! The GPR is an excellent choice of muzzleloading rifle, as many here will attest :D
Hope to see you around the campfire :front:

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

vautrain,
Welcome to the MLF glad to have you on
board. You will be thanking that co-worker many times
for what he has done for you. i.e. helping getting you
involved in one of the most enjoyable activities around.
Now its your turn, just get one other person involved.
Ask questions, contribute when you can and have fun.
again welcome to the MLF and to muzzleloading
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:
P.S. good choice for your first M/L

vautrain,
Welcome to the MLF glad to have you on
board. ...
P.S. good choice for your first M/L

Thank you, sir.

The Lyman was more out of necessity, than out of choice, as I really needed a left-hand percussion rifle. When I posted a WTB on the classifieds, a used Lyman GPR was, understandably, the first rifle that was offered to me. Of course, I did some research before I agreed to buy, and could find very little in the way of negative opinions on the GPR.

Anyway, it's good to be involved in shooting again, and good to be here.

Glad You decided to join the folks here.It's really great that You have someone with experience to help get started.As You progress,You may be able to have His Father build You a custom Lefty.There are a few that come up on Auction Arms (left hand models).Hope to hear from You often. :front:

Hi Vautrain,

Welcome to this forum. Glad you found out about muzzle loaders. Invite your friend and his pop over sometime.

Gary

Hi Vautrain,

Welcome to this forum. Glad you found out about muzzle loaders. Invite your friend and his pop over sometime.

Gary

Thank you.

I have/will. I don't know how much his father uses computers. I think folks who go to the NMLRA National shoots might recognize the family name, there is a shoot named after a family member. They've been involved for a long time.

Terrific vautrain! Git them over here. Now, I mey knot bee phamuz, but odladda fokes wreckcoknize me ad Friendship. I'm the guy who goes in with bucks and goes out broke! :crackup:

Latest posts

Back