• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This 1860 Army followed me home.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just back from the Cedar Creek reenactment and this nice old Colt followed me home.
The action is very smooth, and the cylinder indexes perfectly. The finish is worn, but has a nice even patina. Frame, barrel, triggerguard and cylinder have matching numbers, the wedge is probably an old replacement as it is not numbered. I have not removed the grips to check them. Barrel, frame and cylinder are marked with inspectors initials, The grips have the remnant’s of the inspectors cartouche. Unfortunately the ”safety“ pins between the cylinder chambers are broken or deformed.
The bore is good with a little darkness. Came with the original holster pictured.
Per the Colt website, the pistol was made in 1863. I hate to pay $300 for a piece of paper but I may have this one lettered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Attachments

• 6B363E7B-D346-4A47-8D5E-AC17FCDF2D56.jpeg
    6B363E7B-D346-4A47-8D5E-AC17FCDF2D56.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0
That's very cool.

So, did you buy it off a traders table?

Trade for it with another reenactor?

Is it a user, or to valuable to use?

What's a ballpark value on something like that?

I'm not nosy, just trying to learn.

Thanks

Wow, that's got to be worth something, especially in that great of a shape.
Well, I hope it is worth $2000, because that is what I paid for it and two original (one early war, one late) holsters.

Was at a small show today and there was a very rough, but functional one for $700. The naval scene was completely gone and the entire gun covered in shallow putting.
I didn’t check the bore.

Last edited:
That's very cool.

So, did you buy it off a traders table?

Trade for it with another reenactor?

Is it a user, or to valuable to use?

What's a ballpark value on something like that?

I'm not nosy, just trying to learn.

Thanks
I know the guy that owned it. He has had it for over 20 years. He priced it to me in the Spring. I thought it was a little high, looked at several others, some cheaper, but not comparable in condition. When he agreed to throw in both holsters I bought it. I sold a couple reproductions, and some other stuff to fund it.

It really does show great workmanship, the lockup is very tight.

Well, I hope it is worth $2000, because that is what I paid for it and two original (one early war, one late) holsters.

Was at a small show today and there was a very rough, but functional one for $700. The naval scene was completely gone and the entire gun covered in shallow putting.
I didn’t check the bore.
You did very well on your purchase & original holsters are very rare.
If the bore is in decent condition & you install new nipples it will make a good competition revolver with it's progressive twist rifling.

beautiful! made me drool all over this laptop.
i am firmly in the shootable? shoot it camp.
well maybe not firmly. i have a few that i have never fired. the idea of some unobtainium part breaking is to be considered.
but shooting that one would be more fun than s........ ah most things.
i have one colt pistol that lives in a drawer in the vault at my bank. wife won't allow me to have it at home.

RESPONSIBLE CARE OF OUR HISTORICAL FIREARMS;
I've shot my collection of original Colt & Remington revolvers & various ML rifles for several decades & they are no worse for wear.
Many don't realize that the internal parts of their original Colt & Remington revolvers can be repaired with Uberti components, including the cylinders in most cases.
That being said, as lifelong history buff I've only collected & shot original firearms that show the nicks & dings of actual historical period use.
I can honestly state that originals that I've hunted & competed with over the past 60 years remain in better condition than if they had been stored in gun safe or hung on a wall..
Mint or near mint firearms I've acquired get sold to collectors who just display their collection..
Relic shooter

Just back from the Cedar Creek reenactment and this nice old Colt followed me home.
The action is very smooth, and the cylinder indexes perfectly. The finish is worn, but has a nice even patina. Frame, barrel, triggerguard and cylinder have matching numbers, the wedge is probably an old replacement as it is not numbered. I have not removed the grips to check them. Barrel, frame and cylinder are marked with inspectors initials, The grips have the remnant’s of the inspectors cartouche. Unfortunately the ”safety“ pins between the cylinder chambers are broken or deformed.
The bore is good with a little darkness. Came with the original holster pictured.
Per the Colt website, the pistol was made in 1863. I hate to pay $300 for a piece of paper but I may have this one lettered.
Adding to my old thread on this pistol. Had it out the other to take a group photo with my 2nd and 3rd generation 1860s.

I checked the bore and cylinder with a light, and don’t see any serious pitting. I am getting the urge to shoot this pistol, although this wasn’t the intent when I acquired it. Would I be making a mistake in shooting it? It is numbers matching except the wedge which is unmarked.

If I shot it, should I remove the original nipples, and if so who makes new ones that would fit an original Colt?
Removing the nipples is actually one of my biggest concerns, I have bought used reproductions where the nipples were very hard to remove, and I don’t want to damage an original trying.

If I shoot it I was thinking 17 grains fff, wonder wad, .454 round ball.

I know there is a lot of experience/knowledge here, and appreciate any thoughts.

Adding to my old thread on this pistol. Had it out the other to take a group photo with my 2nd and 3rd generation 1860s.

I checked the bore and cylinder with a light, and don’t see any serious pitting. I am getting the urge to shoot this pistol, although this wasn’t the intent when I acquired it. Would I be making a mistake in shooting it? It is numbers matching except the wedge which is unmarked.

If I shot it, should I remove the original nipples, and if so who makes new ones that would fit an original Colt?
Removing the nipples is actually one of my biggest concerns, I have bought used reproductions where the nipples were very hard to remove, and I don’t want to damage an original trying.

If I shoot it I was thinking 17 grains fff, wonder wad, .454 round ball.

I know there is a lot of experience/knowledge here, and appreciate any thoughts.
I know the slixshot nipples for Uberti 1860s are advertised as fitting original Colts

https://www.slixprings.com/proddetail.php?prod=SliXshot-Black-Powder-Nipples

If it was me I would probably shoot it, my train of thought is if it's a brand new in box unfired gun then I'd probably keep it that way... but if it's an original it has most likely been fired already so it shouldn't affect the value or be any problem as long as it's cleaned after

I owned original SXS shotguns until I moved to Mexico for six years. Sold 'em .. big mistake. Shoot them? You bet, quail. pheasant, duck, grouse, dove and rabbit. Frequently outperformed my Browning over-under toting friends. Dale

Latest posts

Back