• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think I'm about there!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
Third range session today with the new Kibler Colonial. I switched over from FFFg Schuetzen to FFg Goex. Right off the bat, groups were tighter, albeit still low. So I did the old shoot and file, shoot and file, shoot and file -- until I ended up with this four shot group at 50 yards with 90 grains of 2F (hunting load).

1618702806885.png

So other than bumping the rear sight a tad back left, I think I'm pretty close to where I want to be.

Next week, I'll work on longer ranges (75-100 yards)

I'm also very happy with the performance of the lock and flint. I'm now up to 60 shots on the original flint that came with the rifle, not counting dry fires and a few flashes in the pan caused by carbon buildup and insufficient vent picking (my bad). On shot #51, I had my first failure to ignite the pan powder. I simply knapped the flint (which only took a few seconds), and she went right back to firing on every shot. I think this is a testament to the almost perfect spring tension and tuning Jim dies on the locks he produces.

I have no idea where the flints Jim and Katherine sell come from, but they are amber in color (not black like the English flints I bought from TOTW). French, maybe?

For knapping, I simply grabbed a long brass screw out of my tool box. The spiral threads act as almost perfect ledges to grip the edge of the flint and knock off a chip.

Usually by now I start to find the "flaws" in whatever new thingamajig it is I have bought. This rifle is definitely and exception. My admiration for Jim's workmanship grows with each range session! :thumb:

Usually by now I start to find the "flaws" in whatever new thingamajig it is I have bought. This rifle is definitely and exception. My admiration for Jim's workmanship grows with each range session! :thumb:

You have me so excited for when I get mine much much later this year.

Was the lower right one your first shot? That happens quite a bit with clean barrels. The 4:00 position is also common in flinters when you flinch, or a somewhat slower ignition for that one shot. The higher ones being tighter would indicate you had it dialed better together, (in your shooting technique) and with a dirty bore, which increases pressures.

One thing that's important in shooting is that you "call your shots". Where exactly were the sights aimed at the time of discharge (not just the trigger pull). Mark both places on your target. THAT is your ACTUAL group. When testing a gun's loads there are 2 things being tested; the gun / load, and, you and your shooting technique. If you mark your called shots that takes a lot of you out of the testing.

Last edited:
The four-o'clock hole is from a shot with extra-long ignition delay caused by too much powder in the pan. The next three are the ones clustered around the center.

Next week will be more telling as I stretch her out to 75 and 100 yards.

What caliber is your kibler? Mine is .50 and I'm wondering if I should give 2f a try. I've been shooting 3f and and am not getting GREAT groups. Acceptable hunting groups, but I'd really like to tighten them up a bit. Here is a recent one I shot. It's 5 shots, there are 2 in the top hole. I am sure part of it is still due to the shooter, but I feel like I could still get the rifle to be better. These 5 were with a .495 ball, .018 patch, 70gr 3f with a 10-15mph cross wind at 50 yards from the bench.
20210413_181333.jpg

I would like to know the order of shots. Your horizontal dispersion is likely due to the cross wind as the vertical dispersion is reasonable. If the two in the same hole were shot last, then the slight increase in pressure from fouling build up even when wiping between shots may bring the impact up.

2F may perform well. I have found little difference in performance between 2f and 3f powders. The 3f may be a bit cleaner, but there will always be fouling when using Black Powder.

What caliber is your kibler? Mine is .50 and I'm wondering if I should give 2f a try. I've been shooting 3f and and am not getting GREAT groups. Acceptable hunting groups, but I'd really like to tighten them up a bit. Here is a recent one I shot. It's 5 shots, there are 2 in the top hole. I am sure part of it is still due to the shooter, but I feel like I could still get the rifle to be better. These 5 were with a .495 ball, .018 patch, 70gr 3f with a 10-15mph cross wind at 50 yards from the bench.
View attachment 74521
My groups tightened up quite a bit by switching to 2F, but, then again, mine is a .54 caliber, and conventional wisdom says that is what I'm supposed to be using.

I would like to know the order of shots. Your horizontal dispersion is likely due to the cross wind as the vertical dispersion is reasonable. If the two in the same hole were shot last, then the slight increase in pressure from fouling build up even when wiping between shots may bring the impact up.

2F may perform well. I have found little difference in performance between 2f and 3f powders. The 3f may be a bit cleaner, but there will always be fouling when using Black Powder.

I don't remember the order 100% but I believe the lower 3 were the first 3 and the 2 up high were last.

Sorry I need to make my own thread for this and not hijack this one!

Back