• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The simple life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of fun things since I got into the BP reenacting game, but I’ve realized lately that I have a favorite. It’s going light and lean, using the primitive methods and gear of the old boys. Actually doing it their way, experiencing what they did and working with the problems they had fascinates me. There are problems, certainly, but I’ve very frequently been surprised how well it can work if you get your mind around it, resist trying to make it happen in the modern way. Lately, I’ve been going afield with a rather spartan outfit, for both shot and ball, and, again, I’m surprised to find I don’t really need anything more. I have distilled my shooting gear down to a totally adequate kit using only the things which might have been used in the 18th century, most of which I’ve made. With it I can hunt deer, turkeys or small game, or just wander around doing whatever occurs to me, in fair weather or foul, shooting either ball or shot. And all from one shot pouch and with one flintlock smoothbore.

The kit, clockwise from bottom left:

Cow’s knee made of well-oiled deerskin. With that and a little hard-earned experience, I can keep shooting in some pretty wet weather.

Tow and jackknife. The jackknife is for cutting the tow and for general use. The tow is used as wadding for both shot and ball loads, both overpowder and overshot. It is also used for swabbing, washing and drying the bore, then rinsed and tied to a thong on a pouch strap to dry. It can be reused for cleaning, or as tinder for fire starting when it gets really frazzled.

The forged turnscrew with a blade which fits both the lock bolts and the flint jaw screw.

An extra flint.

A coil spring worm, which screws onto threads I whittled on the small end of my ramrod. it is used to hold the tow for cleaning, and for pulling wads if needed. The ramrod is all wood, no tips or attachments.

My “medicine”, a lucky buckeye and a deformed lead ball removed from a deer killed with the smoothbore.

An antler tip measure, charge for the round ball load when filled, for the shot load when to an interior mark.

A pan brush made of rawhide and pig bristles.

Two vent picks, one forged, one of wire.

Brown paper wads threaded on a wire clip. These are used overpowder before the overpowder tow wad is seated, to improve the seal.

An 8” original horn, easily holds enough powder for a day afield with either ball or shot, or both. It fits in the pouch.

A ball bag made of goatskin, with a bamboo spout and cork stopper. I usually only take 4-6 balls.

A deerskin shot bag with a rawhide spout and cork stopper, holds enough shot for 6-8 loads.

Priming horn made of the neck of a dried gourd, for 4F.

The bag is made of pigskin, a double bag 7” wide, 8” tall. The tow, knife and cow’s knee go in the back pouch, everything else in the front one. The old harness buckle is brass with an iron tongue.

If I run short of tow, I can substitute cedar bark, which grows most everywhere in my area. Shredded, it has worked extremely well as wadding for both ball and shot, and it can’t be beat for tinder. I’ve taken rabbit, squirrel, dove, groundhog, turkey and deer using it in my 20 gauge, 46-inch, cylinder bore flintlock smoothbore.

Simple does not have to be ineffective.

Spence

George said:
I’ve taken rabbit, squirrel, dove, groundhog, turkey and deer using it in my 20 gauge, 46-inch, cylinder bore flintlock smoothbore.
I've thanked you a number of times in the past and will do so again now, for your willingness and work that went into sharing / posting so much good information when I started down this road some years ago now...and the most rock solid helpful set of information was your article entitled: "The Versatile Smoothbore'

I set about learning / proving to myself that I could indeed take doves, deer, squirrels, turkey, and even crows with it. And as we speak I'm 'thinning my herd' with the odds that I'll end this new year with everything moved out except...my own versatile smoothbore.

So, once again...thanks for that article !
:thumbsup:

Kind words, Roundball, Thank you.

Big changes for me this year, too, but not with the guns. That day is coming, but not quite yet. I've sold my farm, so my days of hunting my own land are over. In one of my more shrewd moves, though, I made lifetime exclusive hunting access to the land part of the deal. Haven't tried it out, yet, but I think it will feel quite different, and not necessarily very good.

Smoothbores are special. There is no way I could have worked my kit down to the bare-bones essentials and still maintained the across the board capabilities with any other kind of gun, I suspect.

Spence

I'm interested in that minimalist approach also. Where can I access that article, "The Versatile Smoothbore'?
RB....you getting rid of everything but a smooth bore, really?

USMA65 said:
I'm interested in that minimalist approach also. Where can I access that article, "The Versatile Smoothbore'?
RB....you getting rid of everything but a smooth bore, really?
Well, 2 smoothbores actually...a .62cal(20ga) and a .54cal(28ga)...mainly want a second Flintlock on hand as a back-up in case a problem comes up with the other one during a hunting season or something.
Given that all my hunting is in pretty heavily wooded settings with 25-50 yard shots the rule, and the .54/.62 smoothbores have already proven they'll get it done in there...I'm just beginning to wind things down and will stop at those.

Yet another fantastic post :hatsoff:

I too recently lost some prime land and am having to make do!

I have plenty thinning to do brother yet :hmm:

B.

Another great post Spence. You have a fantastic talent for conveying a lot of info without a lot of verbage.

Between your posts here and your website, I really think you should publish a book. Include your stories that are on the website and some you've posted here (maybe some others we haven't read), many of your tips and how to's from both places, and maybe a chapter on your research and archiving techniques. I know many of us are very impressed at your ability to come up with and post period documentation.

Thanks for this post and all you do for us.

Spence, You are an inspiration to us all and to me especially. I have been reading and re-reading your tales from the "notebook" for several years. I have it saved to my favorites file. I am sorry to hear of the loss of the farm as we all hoped for some more stories added to the notebook. I hope that 2015 finds you and yours in good health. Keep yer powder dry.....Robin :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.....I am heating up the coffee pot now and will enjoy, I am sure.
Spence, I look forward to reading your material. Downsizing anything is not bad. I remember years ago a pastor of mine said that when Alexander The Great was buried he had two holes cut in his sarcaphogus, one for each arm. Supposedly he was buried with open hands, palms up, to show that we take nothing with us. I bet that if he had a smoothbore he would have tried to !!!

Mr. Spence- I have made a copy of your post here as it seems a very wise way to do things. I hope this is OK with you.

Sorry to be late to the party...got to play hospital again! :cursing:

Wanted to say thanks Spence for the logical thoughts and ideas for keeping our sport simple and enjoyable. You're a man after my own likes adn preferences! :hatsoff:

Back