• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Get out your smokepole's boys, the Bucks are out chasin & fightin in southern Oreegun! Just saw three in my front yard a few min. ago, and one of them was a big-un.Looked like a 4x4 Blacktail, and two others a tad smaller.

I swear! my pet yard doe, had a smile on her face from ear to ear. Dadgumit! I had to go and get a little feller earlier, and now the big ones are laughing at me!

"Anyway" I just wanted to alert you fellows out here on the left coast, that the rut is on, and the bucks are acting like teenagers on prom night! :grin:

nw_hunter said:
"...the rut is on, and the bucks are acting like teenagers on prom night!..."

In analyzing notes kept from years of my own deer hunting here in NC, the results made it clear that I could stop all the other scattered days off here and there, plus all the Saturdays, and just take 2 weeks vacation and hunt the rut hard every day, see more and better bucks during better light.

It also happens to be the prettiest time of year in the fall woods here so that's what I've done for quite a few years now...one of the benefits of getting on in years while still working is the buildup of vacation days that allows me to do it...so its basically become an annual 2 week hunting trip but the hot shower, room & board is at my own house every night :wink: ...season opens tomorrow where I hunt so I'll be out there with a Flintlock

Had a couple of nice bucks hung up in the Cooler the past week. Both had their noses to the ground and on a mission. My Uncle took a small 3 point that followed a "Buck Bomb" right to his tree Wednesday openning day of our muzzleloader season. The first two days on muzzleloader season the deer are checked at a State checking station and when he went later that morning, there was a line of guys waiting to check in some nice deer. This has always been a good week for me but unfortunately they won't let me on my CATV, Doctors orders, so no hunting season for me unless I sneak out later in December.

Not seeing anything but small bucks an a few does here in Southern Illinois. All the rain has has kept farmers from harvesting the corn and the deer are holed up in the standing corn.

Still bow season here and had a doe at about 18yds this morning waiting on her to take one more step to clear herself of limbs..she smelled where I walked in, turned and high stepped it on out. Saw nothing this afternoon.

Rut should start any day. But so far rattling, can call and grunt tube has only produced small bucks that I had seen and then grunted them up to me.

Seen a nice big buck chasing 3 does tonight, grunted at him a couple times got him to stop but thats a bout it.

In central Illinois it has begun seen some nice bucks Unfourtinately one was on the side of the side of I 39 on my way to work Someone Probably cliamed it quick.

I shot a large 5x4 tonight who was obiously rutting, he just stood there looking at me from 40 yards away and waited for me shoot him for a good 20 seconds, and man did he stink to high heaven, nothing like the smell of a rutted up buck.

:rotf: Talk about Suburban deer! A buddy just called and told me a friend from one street over from him, housing plat, she called him to let him know she looked out her window at 9:30 am and there was a 7 pointer mounting a Doe in her front yard. The Doe got away from him and ran two houses over where the buck caught her and mounted her again. Crazy...

Latest posts

Back