• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rifle Shoppe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiefs50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased locks from The Rifle Shoppe? I am thinking about building a fusil de chasse and am wondering if their French lock would would be more correct than the ones usually available with parts kits available from TOTW.
mike

You're right in thinking that the lock would be correct than what's offered from TOW. However, I would advise that you call TRS before buying. If it's in stock, order. If it's not, don't. Use a credit card and if the item isn't there in the time specified, cancel the charge.

LSU Tiger has given you some excellant advice. If you dont heed it you are heading for frustration big time/ lots of unanswered phone calls, emails and faxes and a horrible feeling that youve been taken for a ride. :nono:

Thanks for the info. That kind of feedback sure doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling over the prospect of dealing with them. Sounds like an undercapitalized operation. I'll have to reconsider my options, I guess. Thanks again.
mike

I believe they use originals as a source for their parts patterns, but I have also heard about the availability issues, that is why I chose TOW 44" De Chase parts set and modified the lock and other things on the plan to make it closer to "right"

I wouldn't normaly defend TRS, But they do deliever what you order. It just takes what seems to be a lifetime.
What we need is a specilty shop that will make period correct parts, at a decent price and with a decent lead-times.
There doesn't seem to be anyone in the USA that can do it.
How about the chinese??? :hmm:
Just kidding

Chiefs50,
The Rifle Shoppe has some excelent quality parts and essentially can't be beat for authenticity. They are also some wonderful people, BUT if they don't have it on the shelf ready to ship you are going to wait a while, sometimes a long while, sometimes a very long while. Their castings are first rate but need more cleanup than most from TOW. If you can put together a Siler lock kit you can build a Rifle Shoppe lock also, but it requires more parts fitting and a good working knowledge of lock geometry. Sometimes they have pre-assembled locks available, for more money of course. Also consider that you will need to harden and temper the springs as well as the frizzen if you build your own from a set of these castings. It can be a great learning experience and leave you quite satisfied when you spark that lock for the first time. I would estimate about 25 hours work assembling and tuning a lock like this made from Rifle Shoppe castings. You have to decide what your time is worth. I don't think you will find a more authentic lock anywhere. You might check with TOW because they are a distributor for TRS and sometimes have parts in stock.
Good luck, Horse Dr.

Chiefs50
Just noticed you were a cheese head. I lived near Eau Claire for about 20 years. There were some prety fair gunbuilders in that area. Hope my last post is of some help.
Horse Dr.

Horse Doctor

Yes, thank you - your post was informative. I guess I do qualify as a cheesehead, but barely. I was born and raised in the U.P., am a Lions fan, and live on the MI/WI border (jackpine savage territory). One of my sons currently has an optometrist practice in Eau Claire. I'll have to see if I can locate some of those gun builders you mentioned. mike

The casting quality appears to be superb, if in fact they are supplied in that condition.

The cost however, is about 150% more expensive than The Rifle Shoppe.

The "Tower" marked Bess lock (without date at rearmost) is extremely nice, and the hammer and lockplate look to be virtually blemish free.

Thank you for posting this alternative source.

There is also Peter Dyson
http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/
He farms his work out to foundries, Blackley does his own.

In my opinion Kevin Blackley is the best of the three mentioned (although I have no complaints about Dyson) - he is also in demand, which means you can have long waits, like with TheRifleShoppe. UNLIKE TRS, Blackley responds to emails, answers the phone, sends out notification when the item is shipped, etc. etc. and is quite a nice person, to boot.

:(
Well loyalist dawg here... I ordered a Pisor Jaeger kit was promised 8 weeks ... I told them that I would pay all up front if they delivered as promised... yep I paid was suppost to be here before Nov. 06... still waiting... they do make promises... yea just another week, yep just another week... sure will tell you when it comes.... :(
best of luck :rotf: loyalistdawg...
PS damn us loyalists would have won if the arms were delivered...

Dawg, that's why you bums lost! You trusted them! :rotf: Let a rebel tell you what to do... Print and save every email and log every attempt to call them. Send a letter by certified mail demanding either the parts or refund. After ten working days, if you've had no response, send certified letter #2, then after another ten working days, send #3. In the last letter, state that since you've had no response, you have no choice but to refer the matter to the courts for action. You will now have their undivided attention and get your parts or refund of your money. Be prepared to file in small claims court, which is about $30 here. The emails and call log will be evidence.

Back