• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the old Dixie "Tower" pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I toted my old Dixie .67 caliber "Tower" pistol out to the club last Friday. I built it up from one of their cheapie kits back in the 70's. I think they were like $30 or so then. It's got a rough looking flat faced lock, flat cock, a bore that measures out to .675, and it's not very pretty. I shortened the barrel to 9", added a 7/16" rammer with a shotgun tip, and a belt hook. It's quite functional, if not very elegant. It sorta looks like Middlesex's "Light Dragoon" pistol...but a bit more crude.
I haven't shot this pistol in years and years. I loaded it up with a ball, primed and took a shot from about 10 yards.....no hole in the target. Reloaded, moved up a couple yards, no hole in the target. Reloaded, aimed a little left, a hole in the target but way off. Sooooooooooo......I loaded it up with some #5 shot. After all, that is what I built it to use...and it's pretty much all I had ever shot from it before. I walked up to around 7 yards, aimed dead center of a 25 yard rifle target, and promptly blew away a large central chunk the black! Cool!!! Ahhhhhh....now that is what it is supposed to do! :)
I guess I'll have to work on a big roundball load for it now.
btw- For a cheap piece of doo-doo, it's a very reliable firing gun. Keep the flint sharp and it always goes BOOM!
Jack

We had one of those back in the mid 60s and got a couple of shots from it. As it came, the frizzen wasn't hardened and no sparks. The owner sent it to somebody to harden the frizzen and we got a couple of shots from it before the embrittled screw hole let go and the frizz went flipping end over end down range. As I remember it, that was a huge pistol and every bit as crude as you describe. Real authentic as I saw equally crude ones in the Armory at the Tower of London.

I bought one from Dixie in 1970. Still got it. Still it use a little. Had to solder a thin plate on the bottom of the frizzen to close a 1/8" gap between it and the barrel to keep the prime in it. Mine came with a hard frizzen and cost$35.oo. I usually load with #1 buckshot. Very impressive at close range. Also had to make a new sear for mine and replace the mainspring. It was my first muzzleloader and I still like it.

I've got one of those I traded for back in the early eighties. I used to use #5 shot in it to shoot rattlesnakes. It would spark alright if the flint was sharp. The springs were a little weak for anything but a very sharp flint. I even managed to hit a Blue Rock with a round ball in it during a dueling match once.

It's pretty much a wall hanger now. I did get a giggle out of Dixie putting a french double throated hammer on a tower pistol.

Back