• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Most Accurate Gun I Own

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Lyman GPR...Just wanted to take a second and throw out a big, I love this rifle. I shoot mostly flintlock longrifles but I am by far most accurate with my GPR. I took it out again today and after cleaning it (which is also much easier) I'm wondering why I don't shoot it more often. Because somebody is probably going to ask, I shoot a .490 PRB on 60 grains of 3f with a spit patch cut at the muzzle (no idea the size of the patching but I don't need a short starter.) In my book this rifle get's a A++++

I got a GPR kit in 54 cal.and I will never part with it.For me it hits the vitals to 100 yards but I'm sure it would be more accurate in someone elses hands.I got a fat doe with it last year and hope to do the same this year but add a cow elk also.GPR's are awsome rifles :thumbsup:
Oh ya I dont use a short starter either,I just ram it down.

The most accurate rifle I own , is a Invest Arm hawkin clone. A person just cannot miss with that rifle. Unfortunately, I dislike that rifle and it seems to get uglier every day. Rubber recoil pad, short barrel, HUGE modern sights. Yuck, just not my style. :barf: But, it is good to hear about your GPR, I may soon be the owner of one in flint! :thumbsup:

Can't figure it out with mine. All those with GM barrels shoot better than I can see :grin:

I feel the same way about my deer creek muzzleloader. That has just been amazing since day 1 and i will never let it go. 225 powerbelt and 80 grains triple 7 and its dead on @ 150 yards.

.440 RB, 60 grains Pyrodex RS, .015 patch and thats good enough to get 3 balls almost into the same hole @ 100 yards.

I have two that I really like. I have a CVA Mountain rifle that I have had since the seventies. It has always shot well and have taken a lot of deer and won a lot of plunder with it. It still shoots dead on after all these years.

The other is an Uberti Santa Fe that I originally got to hunt elk with. It shot so well that I used it in competition also. It is the only rifle that I have shot a 50 3X on a six bull with at 25 yards offhand.

Like you, I shoot mostly flinters but when I bring these two out I am always amazed at how well they do.

Mike, agree..my most accurate rifle is a .45 CVA Mtn rifle that I've messed with some..put on some salvaged brass from a pre-1800 rifle, a small Siler lock, and played with the triggers some. The bbl is marked "made in America' and I acquired it about 1972 or so... :thumbsup: Hank

I do best with my "custom" .54 Renegade although I guess I don't understand all I know about it. This is one of the later Renegades with the rubber-recoil-ugly pad. It has a T/C 1:66 roundball barrel and fixed sights.
I guess it's just the gun I'm most comfortable with, a more accomplished shooter would fare differently with my little collection I'm sure. As far as rifles go (right now) I have that Renegade and an older one with the standard 1:48 twist barrel as well as a New Englander in .50. I also have a TOTW Bridger Hawken with the Goodoien barrel (may be for sale soon), a Hawken wannabe made from replacement parts - that one has a Green Mountain barrel - and two guns with Long Hammock barrels.
Maybe if I knew what I was doing I would have a different favorite :hmm:
Mark

Latest posts

Back