• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Japanese Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Over the past forty years I have only managed to collect around eight Antique Japanese Matchlocks. Several interesting problems, as opposed to Swords, there seems to be virtually nothing in English on the Smiths. Any information on reference works would be most appreciated.

As most of the guns are long, with the exception of a heavy 10mon, I am interested in aquiring a hand cannon and pistol. Due to the regulations in the UK these must be 100 years old at the very least.

Also as I am now retired and have some time, two of the guns have some parts either damaged or missing,spares anyone?.

I am getting into the Digital camera era, once this has been mastered I would like to publish som picture of this small collection, also have swords,Pole arms ansd Armour. Is this likely to be of interest?.

Check out my site where some of the collection is shown.

www.AntiquesIndex.homestead.com

Its a bit amateur so please excuse. :relax:

Quite an impressive site. Don't know of any source of original parts but Dixie Gun Works sells the modern replica in .50 caliber plus parts for it. Have no idea what the threaded parts may be designed for but the internal parts might be of some use. Sorry, about as much help as I can be.

Greyman,
I can't provide you with the details you need, but welcome to the forum!

I am getting into the Digital camera era, once this has been mastered I would like to publish som picture of this small collection, also have swords,Pole arms ansd Armour. Is this likely to be of interest?
Pictures posted here would need to be of firearms and related accessories, as this site is not about armor or pole arms. But we'd love to see all your matchlocks! :thumbsup:

We also have a photo section where you can post a series of pictures for all to see, if you'd prefer to go that route. Either way, bring on the guns. That's why we're here. ::

Nice websites, by the way. :redthumb:

I have been gathering information on Japanese matchlocks and have found very little available. Thanks to Chuck Thom's assistance he helped me with some data. I have located Shigeo Sugawa's web page which has some information. I am looking forward to your future posts on this subject.
Thanks...Warren

http://www.japaneseweapons.com/

Thanks Bovey,
Great site. I am waiting for an original Japanese matchlockpistol to arrive. Maybe this site can be helpful regarding identification.
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Funny enough, I was browsing in the martial arts section of a used-book store recently. I found a book on the history of the ninja, and the weapons discussed included several matchlock guns. They used muskets in rare cases, but there were also pictures of matchlock pistols. Easier to carry, I guess. I had to leave then and didn't have time to give the book a good look and decide if I wanted to buy it. I don't remember the title or author. I'll see if I can find it again.

Wow, an actual site that is more then just a for sale ad. And they actually talk about somewhat, accessories

Thats great, thanks for the link. I have his book which isa very good if light reference work but well worth buying.
Thanks again.
R :redthumb:

Dear fellows,
I just ordered the book "The Japanese Matchlock" from Mr. Sugawa that immediately answered and has already sent the book ::. I have without success for several years tried to get hold on that book :(. Now it feels that I am in heaven!! :D
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Arilar,... I ordered mine a few days ago and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I received the same type of response from Mr. Sugawa. It looks like the English version is the same as the Volume-1 Japanese version. I wonder what the Volume-2 Japanese version contains? I had been searching for his book for a while.

I have another publication on the way ""Sho~ju~ kenju~ kikanju~ nyu~mon [Introduction to Rifles, Pistols, and Machine Guns]" by Sayama Jiro. It is a soft-cover, in Japanese, and has a section on matchlocks. Guess I will need to find me a local translator.

It is a good book if somewhat 'Light' in detail, some info on the smiths would help as in Hawley{Nihonto}.
Found some pictures from the Matsumoto castle collection which I have placed on my web site.

Have a look, if we can get there I will try to sort an English language vesion.
:peace:

Yes... it is in new condition. Thought it would have a larger section on matchlocks but it did not. I did learn that there was a swivel-breech multi-barrel matchlock. Also had an interesting woodcut demonstrating shooting positions. It shows the use of a sling and a large coiled bundle of match cord.

Back