• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The anxiety stage...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Through with one side of the butt, whew. Time for a breather and hone that danged vee chisel again.

20231210_180458.jpg

Nice design. Understated & elegant.

That was the idea, although I got carried away with the tang decoration a little. It needed some relief carving in that area to balance the buttstock mouldings but I don't like the look of relieved side panels so I faded the wrist relief into the incised motif I chose for the rest of the rifle.

A buddy from another board nudged me to add a hint of depth to the leaves so I took his advise.

By far the most difficult thing for me about carving is the design. I try to study other's good work for something to copy but on this one am not finding quite what I wanted so am more or less making it up like a hillbilly gunsmith.

20231212_203718.jpg

More vines and lines tonight. Ignore the penciled vines at heel and toe, I was just experimenting with what those spaces would look like filled and it's too much.

20231212_210306.jpg

Latest posts

Back