• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thats No Kentucky!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
No, this is not a Kentucky or a Pennsylvania.
This is a Schutzen Rifle. What's a Schutzen?
It is a target rifle, designed for competition known as Schutzen which originated in Germany in the late 1800s.

The story goes that a Jaeger (hunter) was witness to the attack of an Eagle on a young child. The range was exceptionally long but the Jaeger took careful aim and killed the bird with his one shot.
Out of this idea, target shooting at a range of 200 yards, firing from a standing position without any support came to be.
Schutzen became very popular both in Europe and in the United States.
Traditionally, after the target shooting is finished, a wooden model of an Eagle is placed at a closer distance and the competitors take turns blowing it to bits. This is followed by good German food and lots of beer to wash it down.
Schutzen competition is still held however with the passing of time, telescopic sights and center fire cartridges are now the norm. The food and beer tradition is still part of the game.
The accuracy of this gun is outstanding and if the modern shooters were forced to use iron sights, I am sure this gun could easily blow away the centerfire competition.

After building several Pennsylvania rifles, I wanted to do something different. Pecatonica River offers a Schutzen kit so I decided that would be my next project.

The stock is #2 grade CM. With the exception of the Eagle on the cheekpiece most of the decoration is wire inlays, done to give the impression of a forest surrounding an eagle.
The barrel key is retained by a pin to prevent it from being lost. The nosecap is cast in place.
The front sight is a tall Lyman style with interchangable inserts. This tall sight was needed to work with the original style Swiss Diopter rear sight.
The trigger is a single phase double set trigger which must be "set" to fire the gun.
The barrel was made by someone in Florida (sorry, I forgot his name) who did an excellent job. It is 34 inches long, 1 inch octagon, .40 caliber. The twist rate is 1:18 with .005 deep rifleing. (This barrel is made to shoot elongated bullets and works great with 330 and 400 grain paper patched bullets. It also could be used with grease groove bullets but I prefer paper patching as the thoughts of removing leading in a muzzleloading rifle sounds like a lot of work). For more information on the Paper Patched bullets see my post on the subject.
This barrel also has a pilot diameter on the outside which is concentric with the bore. It is to be used with a bullet loading guide similar to a "false muzzle"

I have found a load of 70 grains of Pyrodex RS with the Paper Patched 330 grain slug can easily hold 1 MOA accuracy if the shooter can.

Not shown in the photos is a palm rest which installs just in front of the trigger guard. Placing your elbow against your side and cradling the palm rest in your hand provides a very stable position from which to shoot. The location of this palm rest by the way is exactly at the guns center of gravity. This is due to the heavy buttplate which counterbalances the barrel weight.
If you have quesions, feel free to ask them. Also if you have access to the July 2003 issue of "The Single Shot Exchange" magizine, you will find a 3 page article about this gun.
schutz2.jpg

schutz1.jpg

schutz3.jpg

The lock is designed for the Schutzen and is made by L&R.

Thinking the gun needed a compartmentalized case, I built this one and lined it with green velvet. The stock and the barrel each have padded compartments. The case also has storage for the sight inserts, rear sight adjustment tool, caps and other items. My only complaint about the case it it weighs almost as much as the 12 pound rifle.
schutz4.jpg

We have an annual Schutzenfest out at the fair grounds every September. It's a trap shoot, though. Lots of German food, music, and beer.
Nice looking "schutzen" .

Wow, there's half a tree alone in the butt section of that stock... :shocking:

That's a dandy ,Zonie, you did good. During WW2 my next door neighbor sent home (from Germany)a whole bunch of Schutzen rifles but all breachloaders. Me and his brother used to play with them but had no ammo to shoot them.

Well, Zonie, you is a wonder of craft and cleverness. I can see we can't no how believe half the things Musketman says agin you. I couldn't come near to makin just the box it came in, and I worked in a cabinet shop when I was first married.

Zonie..

Very nice rifle, and they are a thrill to shoot. What they are capable of is quite incredible. I've played with a couple breechloading Scheutzen rifles but not near enough, they belonged to friends who had NO IDEA what they were....still I couldn't talke either of them out of one. Maybe someday....

Again, very nice work.

Vic

Wow, there's half a tree alone in the butt section of that stock... :shocking:

Leave it to Mooskeetman to make fun of my guns Big Butt.
Someday, I will introduce him to my wife. Then the big butt jokes will stop or POW! One smashed Mooskeeter (pronounced moose-skeet-er). ::

As the 400 grain slugs are over 1 1/4 inch long and their paper patched, I get a kick out of the people at the range when they look at the slugs and say things like "that ain't a very big cartridge is it?" Usually when I tell them that's just the bullet, I put 70 grains of powder under it" their jaws hit the bench.

Great fun to shoot.

Great piece, Zonie!
One of the best contemporary Schuetzen Rifles I have seen.

Wow, there's half a tree alone in the butt section of that stock...
:: True, but - compared to many of the original ones I can see here from time to time, this seems to be a very slender one. Last year I saw one with a 2.5" butt plus 2" cheekpiece. Wondered how to handle it, but - unfortunately - couldn't take it out of the display case...
The museum I'm talking about might frustrate you: Hundreds of fine rifles, but in a horrible condition. Would be a paradise for a restorer. I should be there again in a week or so. Will have the digicam with me...

regards

Greenhorn

Zonie,
I'm not new to muzzle loading but am to the scheutzens. Have seen many over the years but just recently got one. It is a muzzle loading rifle made by "H. Jung, Wernigerode" and dated 1878. It has a walnut stock and all of the hardware is wonderfully engraved. The original sights, tang, open rear and front, are all in place. The barrel is 31" at the breech and 15/16" at the muzzle and the bore is 5/16" (have not slugged it to get an accurate dimension).The trigger guard is more elaborate than the usual scheutzen and incorporates a palm rest in the shape of a large spoon. I'm looking forward to getting a mold and shooting it. Sorry about rambling on but I don't find much info or many people that have and shoot these great rifles.Thanks.
MArk :)

Question!

I know nothing about this type of rifle or Schutzen matches,but I do shoot chunkgun so I'm somewhat knowledgeable of competition matches.
With this rifle and a paper patched elongated projectile, at what range do you think a capable shooter,shooting off a bench,could consistantly put rounds into,say,an eight inch bull?

My thoughts are running a mile a second on a wild idea :winking:.

Back