• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee Rifle Decorations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And having said that, I will be looking to match a person to this rifle, so I would hope to stick to around 1770s or so if this rifle would match those years. Definitely going for hunter clothing even if it'll be on a poor-boy's side a little. I'm in Connecticut so it'll be kind of odd to go fully southern I think, but I guess everything is possible. Would you agree that someone on the east coast would end up with a Tennessee rifle like this or not really? It'll be good if it was possible, however I read that it was more than likely that a smoothbore gun that was popular here.
I'm trying to find some info on whether or not this possible.
Definitely want some clothing and I'd love to be about correct with the period. I just want some good looking stuff for hunting season.

Sounding more and more like you may have fell into the old trap of buying a gun before developing your persona. It happens. That gun, while certainly a good gun, is not a 1770's one and it's not indicative of what a person in New England would be carrying then.

Enjoy it though. Nothing wrong with it. Just know that creative thinking won't make it into something it's not.

Mike
Before I weigh in I have two ?'s for you.

1)Just so I'm clear are you looking to modify the rifle you just bought from TVM making it represent the 1770 period.

2)Do you really want an honest answer in other words how thick is your skin in regards to your new purchase.

Mitch Yates

Ok, yeah, that gun you have would be something more in line with the 1830's-1880's (despite the retardataire Siler lock). And I wouldn't think that these guns "got around" very much (maybe moving West, but not North East!). They were made by local gunsmiths for the local Appalachian population. :wink:

That makes it clear now. So I'll just go hunting in general hunting frock, linen shirt and pant and felt hat. That'll do for now. I bought this gun due to its great price and looks not thinking of persona. That is right. Glad you told me so I don't look stupid wearing something I'm not supposed to. Maybe I'll look for info of hunter of 1830s then. Just misplaced :rotf:
I love matching rifles with clothes. It's a lot of fun. By any chance- any info/pics on this 1830s period?

I'd rather not get into listing reasons this gun is or isn't PC/HC as it usually results in hurt feelings. If pressed I could elaborate but would perfer not to in the context of this thread.

For your own education you could start another thread title something like "what's wrong with this gun".....but if past experience is any indicator though, those threads usually do not end well here. :shake:

Suffice to say that Tennessee guns stayed home for the most part and were the tools of the local people of that region. Even if well it traveled they would not be appropriate for a 1770's North Eastern persona, or anywhere for that matter.....and for what it's worth there wasn't even a Tennessee in 1770. Converted to flint this gun would still not be appropriate for another 50 years or so....and then still not "right". It is what it is, a 20th century incarnation of a 19th century tool.

Now, there's nothing to say that a far ranging and adventurous youth from Tennessee didn't wander into the North East in the 1830's....though critters to hunt may have been a little scarce and the locals may have frowned on his choice of attire and overall uncivilized demeanor in there cultured state....much as they would today. Nothing stopping you from following your desires and stomping around in the woods like that very youth.:wink:

Just enjoy it. J.D.

19th century reenactors got it EASY! You all have photographs! Lots more extant artifacts, and detailed documents. And plenty of "sutlers" selling period attire.

Simply do a Google image search of 1830's or 1840's Fashion, or whatever other similar terms you can think of, and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

No sir, no I'm not trying to modify the gun so it looks like 1770s production. Just wanted something personal on it.
About the second question, I'm not sure what are you saying.
I'm just trying to have fun here. Are you the HC/PC Police?
If you are, I do apologize if you're being offended.

I'd say personalize it however YOU want to. It's your gun now. You are the one going to be sitting with it in the woods. Make it look like what you want. Nothing wrong with that.

Just don't go around telling curious that it's a true representation of anything other than what it is, a rifle that you like and personalized.

Have fun, they're addicting. You'll get another one, I'd wager. Take your time and really study up on what/who you want to portray and what they would have carried and base your next gun off that.

That first one will always be special.

Not offended just wasn't cear what you were asking and wanted to make sure not to offend you before I offered any help.Enjoy your rifle it's a great entry into muzzleloading.

Mitch Yates

Oh sure! I'll be enjoying it whether or not fits any period. I know it's a contemporary piece and just a look alike. That's why I'm asking a whole lot of questions about this style. I'm not trying to put in anywhere where it does not belong. But wanted to check if it could fit somewhere.
Yeah. I come across more and more people here with rather opposite of what I know by meaning of friendly. Forums like this help, but often discourage as well.
Thank You everyone for participation in this topic. I learned a lot.
First and foremost: it could be a 1830+ gun.
Second: There is a lot of good and smart people here
Third: Next purchase think of persona and period first.
Got it guys!
Thanks for all your help!

Mike
If you ever decide to do 1770 Connecticut let me know ,being due south of you on Long Island I've done a lot of research about Connecticut Guns and Gunmakers since all our local trade was with Conneticut and Rhode Island.I will point you in the right direction.I should have a 1769 New England Fowler done for myself by the end of the year,I will try to remember to post it when I get it done.

Mitch Yates

Michael,

If it's any consolation.....many of us, and maybe most of us, have been right where you're at now....and you are already ahead of some.

For what it is it's a fine gun.....enjoy it! J.D.

Oh no sir! This is my 6th rifle. Just so happens that it's in this particular style. First one of this type anyway. Definitely not want to spread no false informations about it.
Appreciate the input.

Oh yeah. This topic was getting hot :grin:
I think 99.99% of people in my area would think 1600s anyway if I showed up in the longhunter clothing of any type and period, not to mention the rifle. People have no clue what ks underneath all this shooting, hunting and collecting.
My son will have them all. He's 14 months now and already have a picture with one of my Pennsylvanias by Traditions (posted few months earlier somewhere here on forum).
Thank you

Darn it. I know why we're getting confused. I didn't say it'll become a flintlock in not so far future. :doh: :doh:

Oh, I'm not confused. All of this talk about 1770's dicates that the rifle must be a flintlock. If the lock isn't changed then this whole conversation is mute.

Enjoy, J.D.

My fault. Should've stated that earlier. I thought I did that. And I did, but in another topic :rotf:

Latest posts

Back