• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teaching muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 50 states, and the Canadian provinces use the same manual for their Hunter Safety classes. There is a ML component, and brief written material in the manual. Its focus is almost entirely on safety issues, and the material keeps getting less and less, as the folks who write the manual( a committee of state bureaucrats) have less and less actual experience either hunting or shooting guns. Trust me when I tell you that the manuals we were using 25 years ago were much better, and had better information in them, than what is put in these manuals today.

Unfortunately, little effort is made to actually teach the instructors, who must be " certified " anything about shooting muzzle loaders. In fact, I got into teaching Hunter Safety because a friend was already an instructor, and asked me to teach the muzzle loading rifle section to his class. I stayed for the whole class, passed the student test to get my card, and then contacted the department to become an Instructor. It took a couple of years, but I was finally given the green light in 1982, and have been teaching it since.

I have offered to put on a MLer " clinic " for the state H-S instructors on numerous occasions, all to fall on deaf ears.

I recommend that interested people contact the NMLRA to find a course to be certified as a ML instructor. I believe that the certification by the NMLRA is received just as well as that of the NRA.

BTW, I was a certified NRA rifle, pistol, and shotgun, and home defense Instructor for many years. I let the certification lapse, when the NRA insisted that I teach official courses, annually, when I could find no real interest among shooters to take those courses. People were looking for Self Defense training, and not basic bullseye shooting. At that time, the materials provided by the NRA for the basic courses simply did not allow the instructor flexible choices, so he could craft his trainiing program to meet his student's needs. We all know that you have to learn the basics to be able to use a firearm for self defense, but at the time, the NRA folks in charge were adament that ONLY their basic materials were to be used. Most of my students could pass the basic test at the end of the first day of my training, and some could pass it when they first began the course.

Here in NJ you don't need a special ML class for hunter safety, just the regular shotgun class, as they lumped them all together since no centerfire rifle hunting is allowed in NJ! The test has a few questions about ML safety, but mainly deals with basic hunter education.

The only Club listed in Muzzle Blasts magazine (for NJ) is one that I already belong to. No formal Instructor training is available at this time. The Club is affiliated with both the NMLRA and the NRA.

The Club that runs the NRA Pistol & Rifle Qualification Matches has 3-4 "Certified" Instructors, but they're not yet "Instructor Trainers" capable of teaching me to be a "Certified Instructor". At least that's what I've been told thus far. I have a call into one of my friends to learn if any evening classes are available.

Dave

ord sgt said:
Dave, find the name of the trainer counselor in your area. Most classroom time is usually done in the evening. At least ,in my club. The TC in my club hasn't been rated for ML's yet. He was in my class this past week. Like everyone else, he hasn't spent much time around black powder. He needed to learn first before he can teach.

You are very fortunate that your Club has classes in the evenings!

From what I read here, I'm assuming that YOU are an "Instructor Trainer", since your class consisted of NRA Instructors, is that right? Maybe you could help further enlighten me as to the amount and types of classes that would be required for me to obtain certication as a NRA Instructor for Muzzle Loader, rimfire rifle and centerfire shotgun so that I could teach Scouts up at Camp myself?

As a side note, I too feel that a special "teaching ML" section on this Forum would be a great idea :thumbsup: ! I probably wouldn't have had to ask the above question, just simply scrolled down a topics lists like we do now with other threads!

Dave

P.S.: Sent you another PM about this Sunday!

BrownBear,

Craig1977 one of our forum members is a BSA shooting sports instructor in Alaska who needs muzzle loading help. You can find his post in Percussion rifles: T/C help.

Smokin.50,

I haven't figured out what a PM is yet. After I write this I will explore this forum to see if I can find it.

Boy Scout Health & Safety policy on shooting:

To run a BSA range the adult must be either a BSA Trained Shooting Sports Director (taught at National Camp School) or a NRA Certified Instructor in the discipline being taught/supervised.

Cub Scouts can shoot B-B guns and archery, only.
Boy Scouts 10 1/2 and older can shoot rifle and shotgun as well as muzzle loading rifle/shotgun at camp ranges.
Venture Scouts 14 and older can also shoot handguns and muzzle loading handguns if supervised by an NRA certified instructor in that discipline. (Nat'l Camp school does not teach handgun/M-L handgun)

Not all BSA Shooting Sports Directors get muzzle loading rifle/shotgun certification. That depends on the camp school they attend. Hence some camps do not offer muzzle loading shooting.

Muzzle loading rifles need to be .45 or .50 caliber and percussion design shooting patched round balls. Muzzle loading shotguns should be 20 or 12 gauge, percussion design and cylinder choke. Scouts may not shoot flint locks.

With a BSA Trained S.S.D. supervising, anyone with experience can work with the boys and teach. This is a "grey area" but many BSA ranges depend on it. If you can convince their shooting sports director that you know your stuff, he may "approve" your instruction.

Personally, I am a big fan of the NRA-NMLRA Muzzle loading rifle/pistol/shotgun classes. They are well though out and valuable training for beginning shooters. Graduates have the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to persue a successful shooting hobby without the usual pitfalls beginners suffer. The NRA Instructor classes teach you how to teach these classes.

Too many of learned things the wrong way and had to un-learn what we thought we knew. There are millions of muzzle loading rifles rusting away in closets across this land that are there because a potential fellow shooter got poor or no instruction and gave up after his first trip to the range. Boy Scout shooting programs have the potential to make the next generation of muzzle loaders more successful and hopefully more numerous than our generation.

curator said:
Smokin.50,

I haven't figured out what a PM is yet. After I write this I will explore this forum to see if I can find it.

Boy Scout Health & Safety policy on shooting:

To run a BSA range the adult must be either a BSA Trained Shooting Sports Director (taught at National Camp School) or a NRA Certified Instructor in the discipline being taught/supervised.

Cub Scouts can shoot B-B guns and archery, only.
Boy Scouts 10 1/2 and older can shoot rifle and shotgun as well as muzzle loading rifle/shotgun at camp ranges.
Venture Scouts 14 and older can also shoot handguns and muzzle loading handguns if supervised by an NRA certified instructor in that discipline. (Nat'l Camp school does not teach handgun/M-L handgun)

Not all BSA Shooting Sports Directors get muzzle loading rifle/shotgun certification. That depends on the camp school they attend. Hence some camps do not offer muzzle loading shooting.

Muzzle loading rifles need to be .45 or .50 caliber and percussion design shooting patched round balls. Muzzle loading shotguns should be 20 or 12 gauge, percussion design and cylinder choke. Scouts may not shoot flint locks.

With a BSA Trained S.S.D. supervising, anyone with experience can work with the boys and teach. This is a "grey area" but many BSA ranges depend on it. If you can convince their shooting sports director that you know your stuff, he may "approve" your instruction.

Personally, I am a big fan of the NRA-NMLRA Muzzle loading rifle/pistol/shotgun classes. They are well though out and valuable training for beginning shooters. Graduates have the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to persue a successful shooting hobby without the usual pitfalls beginners suffer. The NRA Instructor classes teach you how to teach these classes.

Too many of learned things the wrong way and had to un-learn what we thought we knew. There are millions of muzzle loading rifles rusting away in closets across this land that are there because a potential fellow shooter got poor or no instruction and gave up after his first trip to the range. Boy Scout shooting programs have the potential to make the next generation of muzzle loaders more successful and hopefully more numerous than our generation.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Let me give you a little background about myself, so that you fully understand where I'm coming from:

I'm an adult volunteer with my local Boy Scout Troop, currently the Charter Organization Representative. I'm an Eagle Scout Dad, and my Eagle Scout earned the rifle shooting & shotgun shooting merit badges at Summer Camp several years ago, with me there helping the NRA Instructor. I have taught my Son's entire Patrol how to shoot rifles & shotguns on a personal basis, supplying all of the ammo myself (at least $1K over the years). I have the merit badge books for both, and the 1 grain per caliber (.45 or .50) recommended BP charge memorized. I also bought and donated to the Boy Scouts a brand-new 20 gauge Mossberg pump-action youth model shotgun and delivered a couple cases of birdshot #7.5 along with it back in December of '06.

That all being said, the 21 year old that couldn't shoot a shotgun (due to a shoulder problem) was the Instructor. Yes, the Scouts are in desparate need of Cerified Instructors! I just wish that I wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to earn my certification(s)! :surrender:

I hereby congratulate you on your sevice to the Scouting Program Sir :bow: :) :thumbsup: . Continued success in your endeavors!

Dave

Back