• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL1164

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have the chance the purchase a TC New Englander .50 from a friend. He wants $100. Anyways the rifle literally looks brand new and he says it has only been fired 7 times. From the looks of the rifle I believe him. Does anybody have any input on this rifle? Good shooter/reliable? Patch round ball or conical? What y'all think?

The New Englander is a great meat and potatoes rifle. The weight and length makes it a nice rifle to carry. Good trigger guard for gloves. TC quality with standard 1:48" twist. I'd jump all over that deal.

I bought one in .54 around 1990 and still have it, have taken a good number of deer with it and will never sell it - it taint't nothing special, but it shoots center with the Horandy Great Plains bullet or a PRB, it does not like T-C's Maxi Balls or Hunters. The rifle fits me well, I like the flatter shotgun style butt and if I squint my eyes real hard it kinda sorta looks like a Indian Trade Rifle.

They are good rifles, and for that price it is a great deal.

When you get it, you'll have to start looking for the 12 gauge barrel that drops right in. You'll pay more for it than the rifle cost you, but you may not mind.

Awesome thanks guys. I reckon the only other thing to do is to close the deal. Thanks again.

I would buy that in a heartbeat! No frills as in no DST or fancy brass, but a solid, dependable rifle. 26" .50 and .54 1-48" twist barrels on the walnut stocked rifles, but the 24" barrels from the Grey Hawk and synthetic stock NE drop right in. Likewise, the quick twist barrels from the Tree Hawk, and the 12 bore shotgun barrels made with and without choke tubes.

Another good thing about the New Englander is the opportunity to pick up a 12 gauge barrel that will drop right in. They're scarce now, and when you find one it's likely to cost more than twice what you're paying for the whole rifle. But as an option for a shotgun, well worth it in my book.

My New Englander is a 54. Not fancy and not as accurate as some of my bigger guns, but it gets more hunting time than all my other 54's. It's accurate enough for deer inside 100 yards, and so fast and easy to handle, it's easy for it to become a favorite. I'd be just as happy if it was a 50 like yours.

Listen to me!!!
Get the rifle!
Probably one of the best you can buy!
Though not the most traditional in design.
Get a 12 ga. barrel for it, and you have the best combinations available.
GET IT!
Fred

Hello again,
I just checked on GB, there happens to be two TC New Englanders for sale, one a New Englander 12 ga., opening bid $435, and a rifle in .50 cal, opening bid $435.
If you bought the .12 ga., kept the barrel and sold the parts, you would do well!
Fred

I paid double that for one a few months back. Mine is a .54 and has beautiful wood and a great trigger plus it's very accurate and I love it.

Sitting on your wallet just makes your butt sore, buy the gun. You won't be sorry.

Thanks again for everybody's responses. I'm making arrangements to pick it up.

Latest posts

Back