• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander and Black Mountain Magnum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swquiro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My question would probably be better addressed to TC, but I bet someone on the forum can answer it.

I have had two New Englanders, one shot like a dream and the other shot, well, not like a dream, but maybe I didnt find the right combination. AS I write this there is a third in the mail that I picked up off one of the auctions. Looking at pictures of the Black Mtn. Magnum it looks for all the world like the NE. My question is this: Is the BMM just a NE with a fast twist barrel and a modified ignition system aimed at the hunter that wishes to use conicals and modern projectiles but still have a sidelock? If this is the case, would the barrels be more or less interchangeable? Will appreciate all relevant info. Thanks.

I own both!! BBM is a slow twist NE (1 in 28) built to handle 150 grains BP and use a musket or #11 cap. Mine will shoot 3 240 grain sabots into 2" at 100 yards with 110 grains of FFg (real BP). The barrels are interchangeable as well as the stocks. I think the Grey Hawk and the Tree Hawk are also in this same NE group. Propably gonna get a Grey Hawk for my wife next!

yes, I'd say you are correct. They appear to be the same "family" of rifles. I have a BMM .54, which is a very nice rifle with all of the nicer features found on "modern rifles".If I'm not mistaken, it was touted as being a primitive arm made using the most modern materials and features or something along those lines.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but 1 in 28 is fast twist. 1-28 is used for conicals. Normally T/C rifled most rifles at 1-48 for conicals or RB. A norm for RB is a slow twist of one revolution in 66 inches. Just for clarity.

Bub,,of course youre right!! My brain was slower than my typing!!! Now my Sante Fe Hawken is a 1 in 66" A SLOW twist!!

I have always been ammazed at how well the T/C rifles shoot with the 1-48 twist and round ball. the best shooting rifles I own are T/C's. My Lyman GPR is 1-66 and every one of my T/C's can out shoot it. In my hands anyway.

According to T/C ; the New Englander, GreyHawk, and the Black Moutain Magnum have interchangable stocks. So , YES , the barrels would be interchangable.
The New Englander and GreyHawk is a 1:48 twist. The BMM is a 1:32 twist.

Thanks to all for the info. Confirms my suspicions. BBM also has 1 in 28 twist.

Hey swquiro,
Thought I'd pass along the fact that you can order new New Englander barrels from Fox Ridge Outfitters for about $145 plus shipping. If you're looking for another sweet shooter, it might be cheaper to go that route rather than buy a whole 'nother gun. The barrels are new, so no chance of prior abuse and the TC warranty applies. Last I looked both .50 and .54 caliber New Englander barrels were listed.

I purchased a .54 New Englander barrel from Fox Ridge. It fits both my Black Mountain Mag. and my Greyhawk. Only thing that might mess up a swap is the fact that the tolerances might stack up so that the nipple is off towards the edge of the hammer face. Ran into that once swapping barrels on my TC Hawken.

I once asked Fox Ridge to sell me a spare Black Mtn. Mag. barrel. They wouldn't do it. They said to buy a New Englander Barrel if I wanted a spare. I think they were afraid that the BMM barrel might find its way onto an New Englander. The blast back through the nipple of a fully loaded BMM is probably alot stronger than that of a New Englander (150 Gr. vs. 100 Gr. max load) and the hammer spring on the New Englander lock may not be up to keeping the hammer down. The hammer spring on my BMM is definitely heavier than on my Greyhawk...and the trigger isn't quite as nice either.

I love that family of guns. They fit me just right, shoot good to excellent and are a joy to carry. The BMM shotgun barrel's a shooter too....just swing the muzzle through the target while pulling the trigger and the target's a goner. Only bad thing is that they're the plain janes/ugly ducklings of the TC line, especially with the Rynite stock.
Bob

Short-start and Lone Wolf,

Thanks for the info. I, too, agree that the New Englander is just about the perfect size for toting around the hills, and if the one that I just bought shoots to my satisfaction I will not be looking for another barrel, except maybe the scatter barrel. If it will not shoot to my satisfaction then I would consider a fast twist BBM barrel for conicals. But I would never consider shooting over 100 gr of BP. I dont belong to the "more is better" fraternity.

I havent seen my new- to- me NE yet, but I have been told it is like a new rifle. I will be home next week and will give it a good workout. :)

Back