• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Big Boar!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfingers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just couldn't walk away from this, wasn't even what I was looking for! At 58cal, I have no idea what loads would work. I have since learned this rifle was discontinued a while ago, should I conserve it or go for the fence? :confused: Blackfingers

What would you conserve it for? It is a production gun and will probably never be worth a month's rent. Guns are made to be used--I'd use it.

Using a patched round ball I'd start at 60gr black powder and shoot 5 shots then increase the charge 5gr and shoot another 5 shots. Continue 'til you get the smallest group.

Re: T/C "Big Boar" .58 Users - need loads!

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:05:22 AM »

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is from the T/C booklet:
.570 roundball (279 grains):
80 grs. FFG 1302 F.P.S. 1050 Ft. Lbs.
90 grs. FFG 1373 F.P.S. 1168 Ft. Lbs.
100 grs. FFG 1428 F.P.S. 1263 Ft. Lbs.
110 grs. FFG 1519 F.P.S. 1430 Ft. Lbs.
120 grs. FFG 1595 F.P.S. 1576 Ft. Lbs. (maximum load)

58 caliber lead bullet (555-560 grains):
80 grs. FFG 1093 F.P.S. 1486 Ft. Lbs.
90 grs. FFG 1149 F.P.S. 1642 Ft. Lbs.
100 grs. FFG 1221 F.P.S. 1854 Ft. Lbs.
110 grs. FFG 1282 F.P.S. 2044 Ft. Lbs.
120 grs. FFG 1331 F.P.S. 2203 Ft. Lbs. (maximum load)

According to their booklet, there are 58 caliber maxiballs and maxi

also any loads listed for 58 minie balls can be used. the big boar has been used to hunt ANY GAME even in africa

I like mine well enough to keep on shooting it. Try PRB with 90 grains of 2F. Mine is quite accurate with this load.

I have a 1863 Remington Zouave that's .58

I shoot 60 gr. of Goex 3f with .575 ball and .018 patch in mine.

Do you plan on using it to hunt with or for punching paper? I've found that 60 gr. is what mine likes for optimum accuracy when shooting at the range. No need for a stronger load for me then that.

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

I have a couple of them, but if you ask my son-in-law, I have one and he has one. :grin:

Great guns. Easy to carry, shoot well, and hit with authority. As for collector value? Meh. One of mine was NIB when I got it and I had no qualms about poking loads down its throat and packing it into the hills. Experience with guns is waaaay more valuable to me than a few extra pennies in my bank account because the box is shiny and the stock is pristine.

It's accurate over a wide range of loads, so you can adjust your load to suit your needs. I'm fond of 100 grains of 3f or 110 grains of 2f with round balls for the trajectory it gives. I've gone all up and down the scale, and that just suits me best. Same with conicals, but at the top end of charges recoil can get pretty starchy in such a light gun.

Son-in-law's favorite hunting load is 120 grains of 2f under the Hornady 550 grain (560 grain? Don't recall exactly) Great Plains Bullet. That bullet isn't made any more, but it's a dandy if you can cross paths with some. Son-in-law shoots LEE REAL's mostly for practice since I have the mold. I do notice that after a dozen or so rounds at the range he switches over to round balls over the same charge. He won't admit it, but I think the starch factor takes some fun out of the shooting for him on long shoots. :grin:

We both really like 40 grains of 3f under balls for small game loads. With our heavy loads sighted in at 75 yards, the light loads are right on the money at 25 yards.

Good guns. Shootem. You'll be really happy in the field, and your bank account won't suffer enough to buy dinner for the loss of value from scratches.

Many thanks to all responders, I will take notes. I only punch paper, but will consider it for Deer if I ever get back into hunting! :hatsoff: Blackfingers

If you're just paper punching something in the 70 80 grain range will do nicely...just note that if you do ever use it for game the you can go up to 120 grains of FFg even with the big 560 grain Maxi Hunter conical. There's not much in North America that needs that much killing short of big bears but it's comforting to know! My hunting buddy stopped at 100 grains because it got to within 60 fps of the 120 grain load and didn't rattle his eye teeth as much. :haha:

Blackfingers said:
I stole it at $191.00, tax included! In almost perfect condition with a great bore. It wasn't fired much, one can tell. :thumbsup:

At that price I woulda brought it in the house in broad daylight and showed the lil misses! Find of a lifetime I'd say! :thumbsup:

azmntman said:
Blackfingers said:
I stole it at $191.00, tax included! In almost perfect condition with a great bore. It wasn't fired much, one can tell. :thumbsup:

At that price I woulda brought it in the house in broad daylight and showed the lil misses! Find of a lifetime I'd say! :thumbsup:
No Doubt. You don't have to hide it at that price! But then again every gun I buy is less than $200.00 as far as my wife knows :)

Jensen said:
azmntman said:
Blackfingers said:

No Doubt. You don't have to hide it at that price! But then again every gun I buy is less than $200.00 as far as my wife knows :)

It is For This Very Reason that such good deals come up from time to time!
You tell the wife you only paid a hundred bucks for this gun or that gun, and when you Kick the Bucket.........She sells them for what you told her you paid for em! :doh:

Captjoel said:
Jensen said:
azmntman said:
Blackfingers said:

It is For This Very Reason that such good deals come up from time to time!
You tell the wife you only paid a hundred bucks for this gun or that gun, and when you Kick the Bucket.........She sells them for what you told her you paid for em! :doh:

I have never understood the logic of this line of reasonin'. after I'm dead it ain't gonna matter to me if she gives'em away, sells'em for pennies on the dollar, trades'em for some magic beans, or builds a bonfire in the back yard with'em :idunno: . where I'm likely to end up I figger I'll have other things to worry about :surrender: .

I don't need to worry about it. I have 2 great sons and everything will go to them. The question more is, will I die a natural death or will they kill me off for the stash! :shocked2: :grin:

Back