• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

target sights for benchrest and also chunk shootin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have and underhammer stock and action on it's way.I have a 40 cal. 15/16 barrel that is 42" long.I want to set it up for bench shooting and also maybe a chunk gun match if I ever get someplace they have one.What sights do you guys recomend??Most clubs around here make you use open sights only....

If you mount an open sight as far to the rear as you can get, You can just look through the U notch as if it were a peep. It is a peep, just open at the top. Use a nice black flat top front blade and your sighting equipment won't be much short of the very best.

Would a buckhorn sight be good for this? I just mounted one on a Trade Rifle. It is the first one I have ever used and I kind of like it....

I never caught the buckhorn bug. Since you only use the notch for sighting I never could see how the ears or "horns" could do anything but obstruct the view. I know a lot of peole do like them, I just don't know why.
I think that competion shooters have proved that for sighting precision with open sights, nothing equals a flat top blade or post front sight and wide flat top rear with a deep "U" notch. The width of the rear notch should allow a good strip of light on each side of the post.
There is also alot to be said for using what gives you the most confidence. Some people like to use the buckhorns as an elevation reference for long shots. :imo:

If you stay with open sights try old style t/c renegade sights. They are hard to find. Bo-mar sights are great - availible from Tip Curtis at 615-654-4445. I think he might be able to suggest a sight that would best serve you. If on the other hand you can use peep sights, look around for a set of redfield olympics.

Latest posts

Back